altitude logging from GPS ?

111ti

altitude logging from GPS ?

Postby 111ti » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:11 pm

I've been trying to get the altitude information from my DL1 datalogging, but didn't managed to get it.
I found some available options in the software (altitude, heading, change of heading...) :
- are those data available from the DL1 GPS ?
- do I need to activate something on the GPS side ?

this would make easier to find out downward / upward track when comparing breaking or accelerations, and would help to check for track "flatness" when picking a part of run to evaluate rolling resistance

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Altitude info is available from the DL1, but you will need recent firmware and recent Analysis software.

For the firmware, see http://www.race-technology.com/Firmware/DL1/

For the Analysis software, see http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2 ... nload.html

Tip - Install the latest Analysis software before updating the firmware, as the latest firmware updater is much easier to use tha the old one.

You may need to Run the DL1 configuration utility after the reflash. Config file is loaded to DL1 via CF card.

Also, once you are done, check Data > Variable Manager to make sure that altitude is enabled in the Analysis software.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

111ti

Postby 111ti » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:09 pm

thanks for the advice : I already have the latest software, so I'll try to update the firmware of my DL1

(I already tried to activate the altitude, but data was always empty)

I'll let you know the results

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:28 pm

How did you get on with this.

I've only had the DL1 a few weeks so I'd expect it to have the latest firmware (how do you check?). I went to variable manager to select "GPS Altitude" and it came up in red and said "(not applied)".

M.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Firmware version can be read in Analysis by loading some data and looking under Data > Run Manager, but you should be fine on that front.

The red "not applied" means you still need to click the "Apply" button which is in the bottom RH corner of the Variable manager window. Idea is that this lets you muck about in the Variable Manager without permanently applying changes 'til you're ready.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Many Thanks, firmware is 7-5 so assume it's well up to date. Also, found the apply button lurking down there in the right hand corner as well. Thanks.

M.

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 am

and what about the AX22?! the altitude can be displayed directly on the AX22 but I found no way to record this variable....

is there any way to do so? can't you give us a firmeware update too?! pls!!!

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:26 pm

how about altitude and slope for the AX22?!

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:53 am

ok in V7 altitude is availbale for the AX22 and it's extremely accurate! only 50cm difference from the official altitude data of the race track!!! wow! :shock:

here is the official altitude layout of the track:

AX22 altitude for comparison:

I just don't know how to display the slope of the track in %! is there a way to do so?
Last edited by tiburonski on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:45 am

I managed to calculate the slope of the track like this:

1. defined a user defined variable1 with equation set to =GPS altitude and calculus set to "differentiate variable versus time" to get the instantenaeous hight difference in meter

2. defined a user defined variable2 with equation set to =distance*1000 and calculus set to "differentiate variable versus time" to get the instantenaeous distance difference in meter

3. defined a user defined variable with equation set to =variable1/variable2*100 to get the slope in percent

because the GPS altitude has a slower frequency and is quite "noisy" compared to the distance measurement I activated "interpolate between data points" in the analysis options

The measured slope is not too bad compared with the official slope data...

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:51 am

now I would like to display and calculate the vertical g's due to the change in slope....wouldn't that be nice to see where the wheels had more ground pressure and how much less going over a cest?!! :lol:

Edit: to calculate the vertical acceleration I just thought I diffenential my variable1 from above versus time to get m/s^2...then I could divide the m/s^2 by 9,81 to get the acceleration in g. but the result seems to be too large numbers...

stephen hooker

Vertical acceleration

Postby stephen hooker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 am

I noticed in version 7.2 that you can check this option in Variable Manager (vert accel), however all I get is 0, even when climbing 9 metres per second.
Is there another trick to this with the DL1? Can anyone help?
Stephen
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

tiburonski

Re: Vertical acceleration

Postby tiburonski » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 am

stephen hooker wrote:I noticed in version 7.2 that you can check this option in Variable Manager (vert accel), however all I get is 0, even when climbing 9 metres per second.
Is there another trick to this with the DL1? Can anyone help?
Stephen

here I discussed how to calculate and backout the vertical G because the variable vert accel does not work.

http://www.race-technology.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1091

Return to “GPS-specific questions”