Some 20Hz GPS upgrade/PPP questions

raceralexuk

Some 20Hz GPS upgrade/PPP questions

Postby raceralexuk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Hello all,

As I just explained in another thread I started, I recently got hold of a good used DL1 and Dash2 package which the previous owner had used on his race bike, but myself I'm fitting it to a Mazda RX7 which I'm building for Britcar.

As far as I know the box I have is running 5Hz GPS, but I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading to 20Hz GPS. Is this something that can be done? My box is a Mkii and has just been flashed with the latest firmware, as has my Dash2 if that's relevant.

I'd like to know the actual benefits from the point of view of other users of 20Hz GPS, is it a big step forward and in what situations is it a real help?

Also I'm probably not reading the instructions in enough detail, but can PPP be used with 5Hz GPS?

Regarding the mounting of the GPS antenna, it says in the manual mount at the roof - can I take this to mean in or on? Can be put either place but if I can get away with running it inside the roof skin that'd be useful as it won't be disturbing the air flowing to the rear wing.

Thanks,

Alex

osborni

Postby osborni » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 am

On the roof is the best place for a tin-top car. Not sure if you have a fiber glass or CF roof, or what that does to the GPS signal. The sensor is really small, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried about airflow over the rear, you could put the sensor to the front of the roof just after the windscreen.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Support

Postby Support » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:16 am

As Osborni said, the GPS antenna needs to be on the outside of the roof, this is the optimal place for the antenna. The antenna itself is very small so the airflow around it will reattach to the main flow very quickly causing minimal disturbance.

The 20 Hz upgrade can be purchased at any time, this is simply a license file used in the Analysis software to enable the use of raw 20Hz GPS data. The PPP option is only available with a 20Hz license.

raceralexuk

Postby raceralexuk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Ok, ontop of the roof is where it'll go. As I said before, I was just trying to ascertain if I could get away with running it under the roof skin.

To clarify on the 20 Hz upgrade, it's an entirely software-based update, correct? It won't require any changes to firmware or a different GPS antenna?

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Correct, however you will need to enable RAW GPS information to be recorded onto your CF card in the DL1 config.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

Return to “GPS-specific questions”