wiring sensors to dash 2

capricol

wiring sensors to dash 2

Postby capricol » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 pm

electrics are definitely not my strong point, so need some help explaining some basic wiring, namely the sensors. How do I wire the 3 wire oil pressure sensor to the dash2 ? i have read that i may need a resistor? I assume 1 wire is ground, and another goes to the analogue input on the dash2 but that still leaves 1 wire from the sensor. Similarly the 2 wire coolant temp sensor, is it 1 ground and 1 to the analogue input, or does this need a resistor as well? and if so how is that wired up.

Support

Postby Support » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:57 am

Hi there,

There are a couple of differences between the oil pressure and temperature sensors.

Oil Pressure -

Typically three wire, the three connections being Power, ground and signal. The power supply needed for the sensor is different from sensor to sensor, so first you must check with the manufacturer what the sensor requires. Signal simply goes to one of the analogue inputs and ground to the sensor ground on the wiring harness of your chosen product. The sensor will then need to be calibrated to convert the varying voltage from the sensor, into a usable measurement. Pressure sensors are typically linear and so you would simply need to know the range of the sensor and the maximum and minimum voltage it outputs.

Temperature -

Typically two wire, for this type of sensor you will need what is known as a 'pull up' resistor. This essentially converts the varying resistance from the sensor into a varying voltage which can then be fed into one of the analogue intputs. information and diagrams for this type of setup can be found by following the link below;

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... WireSensor

The link is to the DASH2 PRO unit, but the information in the page is generic for all Race Technology products.

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

capricol

Postby capricol » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 pm

ok, that makes more sense now. thanks. Where do i get suitable resistors? My coolant temp sender is a race technology item. Not sure about my oil pressure sensor, i will need to check that one.

Support

Postby Support » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:22 am

Resistors can be sourced from a quick search online. Ebay for example.

a 1k pull up resistor should be used for the RT coolant sensor.

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

Return to “Sensor-related questions”