Dash2 Pro Blank Screen-Factory Wiring Mistake

BrianCinAz

Dash2 Pro Blank Screen-Factory Wiring Mistake

Postby BrianCinAz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:10 am

I purchased a Dash2 Pro last week and carefully installed it per the wiring diagrams in a Formula Ford. After triple checking all my wiring, I flipped on the battery switch and nothing happened; no lights, no screen image. I turned off the battery and checked my wiring again, I couldn't find any errors, so I called Al Seim the US distributor. After discussing the situation, he offered to overnight ship to me another unit since I had a race the next day.

When I received the new unit, I again checked my wiring to confirm that I hadn't made a mistake. I then connected the Dash2 Pro and turned on the battery switch. Again, nothing. I emailed Al (since it was after his closing time) and reviewed the installation instructions and wiring diagrams again.
The next moring, I called Al and discussed the installation. He and I both agreed that it was highly improbable that we had two dead units. AL suggested that I verify that we didn't have any broken leads and also check for potential short to ground issues by using a continuity test on all wires. I took the testing a step further and also tested for voltage on each lead, including the ground leads. During that testing, I discovered that I had continuity and voltage at several pins whose wires I was not using in my application. I then compared the colored wires to the factory manual and the Binder Connector Company schematics. It turns out that the person that assembled the wiring harness at the factory (Race-Tech) had crossed every wire that had a black tracer with the same color wire without a black trace. The yellow/black was soldered to the pin for the yellow, the orange/black was soldered to the pin for the orange, the red/black was soldered to the pin for red, etc. The quick fix was to remove the black trace tape from the wires and remark the wires according to their actual location on the connectors. After resoldering the pigtails to my car wiring, I turned on the battery switch and the Dash2 Pro lit up and appears to be unharmed. I then connected it to my pc and it communicated properly and appears to be working.
I hope that I am the only person that received miswired connectors from Race Tech, but I thought that I should share this in the event that someone else has what appears to be a dead unit when in fact the factory harness could be the problem.

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:52 am

Hello Brian.

Thank you for your message.

I sent this across to our production manager, and he has said that he is aware of this and it has now been resolved. It was an external supplier who had made the error, which of course we are not happy about!

Kind regards,

Debbie.

BrianCinAz

Shame on the Production Manager for Keeping it Secret...

Postby BrianCinAz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Might I suggest that you inform your distributors of this problem since obviously customers have been receiving the improperly assembled parts. Had the distributor been aware of this, he could have easily checked the harness prior to shipping it to me, or he could have asked me to check the leads when I called him about a dead unit and I could have resolved the issue without wasting any money shipping him a good unit (unnecessarily) and I could have repaired the problem very quickly. Had there been proper communication, I also would have had a working unit for my race the next day. The lack of communication on the part of Race Tech has cost me personally a lot of wasted time (sorting out a problem about which Race Tech was aware) , cost me money out of pocket for shipping, and potentially cost Race Tech sales to future customers because at least a dozen people (racers) were aware that I did not have my new Dash working due to a defect; which will cause some to avoid the brand.

blentz2

wiring problem

Postby blentz2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:37 am

I just bought a new dash2 pro - how do i figure out if I have one of these screweed up harnesses?

BrianCinAz

Postby BrianCinAz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 am

It is simple to check the wires and pin locations. Look at the wiring schematic that lists the wires by position and check that the wires are in fact soldered to those pins by using an ohm meter or continuity tester.

blentz2

Postby blentz2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:22 pm

I need something that tells me which pin on the connector is which number. Where do I find that?

BrianCinAz

Postby BrianCinAz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:52 am

The manufacturer of the connectors lists them on their website.

http://www.binder-usa.com/products/partsdetail/90199

http://www.binder-usa.com/products/partsdetail/90192

Download the technical data .pdf

blentz2

Postby blentz2 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 am

Thanks. Mine were all correct.

Return to “Installation questions”