Location of GPS sensor for DL1

FraserWill

Location of GPS sensor for DL1

Postby FraserWill » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:26 am

I have almost finished a new Fraser Clubman and am thinking of placing the sensor under the roll bar just near the drivers left sholder.

Other choice is on the bonnet but likely to suffer re wear and tear in the removal of bonnet etc.

Does a plastic race screen affect the sensor finding the satelites? Thinking of under the screen on the scuttle?

Any thoughs or suggestions re the best location for a Clubman sytle car? :lol:
Will C

Support

Postby Support » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:37 am

Hi,
The plastic could affect the signal, it really depends on exactly what the plastic is made of, the only real way to find out is to try it and see how you get on. Ideally the antenna would be mounted as high up as possible with a clear view to the horizon in all directions.
To see how good the signal is, I would suggest trying a run with the antenna mounted on the bonnet, which is probably about the best place for it, then repeat the test with it mounted on the scuttle. Load both runs up and have a look at the GPS Pos Acc and GPS Vel Acc. If one of them has a significantly lower value for the position and velocity accuracy then that is the preferred place.
Note that when you do this test, you will have slightly different satellite positions which can also affect the accuracy figures, so you would expect slight differences anyway.

Regards,

Martin

GrahamB

Postby GrahamB » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:47 am

I ran with the antenna mounted on a small alloy ground plane, underneath the fibreglass ducktail on my bike. It seemed to work fine, except for the time the mounting screws fell out :oops:

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:56 pm

I like to mount the antenna on top of the roll bar on open cars, it's usually the best solution.

In the absence of a flat plate, you can very successfully attach the antenna using a couple of cable ties right arount the plastic body. Two cigarette sized rolls of duct tape placed either side of the bar centerline can steady and pad the mount.

Simple but effective, and looks fine once done. No worries then about loss of accuracy. If you really must mount it lower, then by all means use Martin's test to verify any possible issues. The system will probably work fine with many alternative mounting locations, but I like to get the best signal and view of the sky possible, and that's available right on top.

Best Regards,
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “Installation questions”