DL1, DASH2 & KPRO ECU Interface Installation

tmadira

DL1, DASH2 & KPRO ECU Interface Installation

Postby tmadira » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 am

HI Guys/RT,

I'm new to the Forum.

The items gaining dust since i bought it a month ago. Reason being i not an electrician & it's not a straight forward installation as informed by RT's sales rep. :shock:

First i have to apologize if the same questions been asked elsewhere here but i have to double confirm. Gonna start the installation tomorrow.

Here goes the dummies Q:

1) Can Dash2 or/and DL1 read directly the output data from ECU by using USB/Serial convertor cable connect to KPRO Ecu Interface cable?

2) If doesnt work what required to make it works, would preferred "clean connection" & not to splice any cable to ECU cables unless unavoidable?

3) Can i connect Dash 2 analogue cables and other cables directly to the VDO cables as to make the DASH2 read the Teamp, Fuel, Oil Pressure etc?

4) If not what need to be done?

5) Anything else that i should know for installation to works? Any link to previous posts would be helpful.

6) On the video license i'll ask at the later stage if doesnt works.

Please advise guys/RT

Cheers
TMadira
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
Last edited by tmadira on Wed May 04, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

CharlesElliott

Re: DL1, DASH2, KPRO ECU Interface & Video License Insta

Postby CharlesElliott » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:03 am

tmadira wrote:1) Can Dash2 or/and DL1 read directly the output data from ECU by using USB/Serial convertor cable connect to KPRO Ecu Interface cable?

No, you really need an RT interface cable appropriate to your ECU. Also, if your ECU is OBD2 only, the data you will get out will really be too slow for any meaningful logging. If it is CAN, you might have more luck. Look on the Products page for more info about the options. Your title suggests you might have the interface already in which case - yes, you should be able to log the data from the ECU via the cable and serial port. But you may need to enable the serial data in within the DL1 config.

tmadira wrote:2) If doesnt work what required to make it works, would preferred "clean connection" & not to splice any cable to ECU cables unless unavoidable?

You should think about what you want to log. In my car there is only one item (throtte position) for which I would tap the ECU. All others come from various sensors. What are the main things you want to log?

tmadira wrote:3) Can i connect Dash 2 analogue cables and other cables directly to the VDO cables as to make the DASH2 read the Teamp, Fuel, Oil Pressure etc?

Probably. You need voltage based inputs, to configure the 'equation' (i.e. what volts means what value) and may need a resistor as well. Again, if you can be more specific then various people - or the search function - can help.

tmadira wrote:5) Anything else that i should know for installation to works? Any link to previous posts would be helpful.

My advice is to get the DL1 installed, hook up an RPM feed and test from there. Once that is working, add the ECU cable. At that point, if all is working, you should have a lot of data being logged.

tmadira

Re: DL1, DASH2, KPRO ECU Interface & Video License Insta

Postby tmadira » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks CharlesElliott.

CharlesElliott wrote:No, ...... which case - yes, you should be able to log the data from the ECU via the cable and serial port. But you may need to enable the serial data in within the DL1 config.

Yes i've purchased the KRPro serial ECU Interface, it just the connector to ECU is USB not serial & i've bought separately the USB to Serial convertor cable..... so it can works :lol:

CharlesElliott wrote:You should think about what you want to log. ...What are the main things you want to log?

Currently i just want to make sure that my DASH2 can read the basic output datas from ECU(factory sensors) ...with time i may add externor sensors(if any) etc

CharlesElliott wrote:
tmadira wrote:3) Can i connect Dash 2 analogue cables and other cables directly to the VDO cables as to make the DASH2 read the Teamp, Fuel, Oil Pressure etc?

Probably. You need voltage based inputs, to configure the 'equation' (i.e. what volts means what value) and may need a resistor as well. Again, if you can be more specific then various people - or the search function - can help.

Alternatively, as the interface ECU cable is available, can i read the datas from ECU & not connecting to VDO cable for Oil temp, water etc & left the analogue cables unconnected?

CharlesElliott wrote:
My advice is to get the DL1 installed, hook up an RPM feed and test from there. Once that is working, add the ECU cable. At that point, if all is working, you should have a lot of data being logged.

It's better hook to DL1 or read the RPM/Odeo from ECU as Interface serial is available to DASH2?

Thanks again

Cheers,
Tmadira
Last edited by tmadira on Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I don't have a Dash2 - but I would go via the DL1 as you will log everything and also have all your Dash2 feeds coming from one place.

osborni

Postby osborni » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Core question is if the car is still street legal or not...

Street legal - I'd set it up so that you can use the Dash2 without the DL1.

This is what I do. I do this so I don't have to run the DL1 with the GPS antenna and still be able to operate the car. Some local laws require that the dash be able to log distance on an odometer. It's nice to have a trip meter regardless.

There is enough setup flexibility to get speed from GPS or wheel speed from the DL1 or wheel speed from the Dash2, but the odometer will only work with a wheel speed directly to the Dash2.

Dash2 feed in:
Wheel speed from hall effect sensor
Oil temp
water temp
oil pressure
Fuel level (optional)

DL1:
Everything else

If it's not a street car, then yes feed everything into the DL1. You do have four more analog inputs on the Dash2 that can also log data into the DL1. The data collection frequency is lower, so I'd just do stuff like temperatures or pressures through there.

That said, you will want to step into the setup and verify everything at every step along the way. i.e., don't go plugging in lots of sensors, buttons and lights until you know the unit will acquire a GPS signal and log basic Gee data.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

tmadira

Postby tmadira » Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks for the HELP everyone.

The car meant for Time Attack under Street car category which legally can be driven on public road, so functioning DASH2 really help on track & road(driven only to track).

Yesterday installation works didnt turn out well... :evil:

Here what we did...
1) DASH 2
-Connect power/grnd cable & other cables to VDO for beam, indicators, brake etc
-Swithes for Menu/Up/Down/select not connected(yet)
-Configured Dash2 through laptop & save in CF card under DASH file name
i.e (Input Scaling- select 9.ECU Pressure Input,RPM setting, Setup Screen select Display#5, Gear Indicator select calculate gear ratio)

2) DL1
-Connect to cigarratte plugs for power
-Connect GPS device as required
-Configure DL1 through laptop & disable RPM(Note 1) on memory card & serial then save in CF card under SETUP file name
-No cables from ECU or Dash2 hook to DL1

3) HONDATA ECU
-Set the output to 9600 bps
-Connect usb/serial convertor cable to supplied Hondata ECU Interface serial cable

RESULTS
1)Dash2
-Everything goes well, indicator lights etc functioned :lol:
-No rpm & ECU Pressure input from ECU displayed...only speed and Display#1 observed :?
-Speed & Gear Indicator didnt tested

2) DL1
-GPS & datalog functioned :)

-Unable to configure DASH2 & DL1 using laptop so i save the configuration files to CF card

-All the RESULTS above with Hondata ECU Interface serial cable connector to DL1/DASH2/ECU

-Then we tried to connect ECU's RPM output to Dash2 input cable...RPM functioned but inaccurate (VDO read 3000 but Dash2 7000)... :roll:

Where did we do wrong..please & really need advise

Cheers,
Tmadira

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 pm

There are menu setups that can only be done inside the Dash2. You need the buttons. I made up a quick and dirty 4 button set on pigtails to do this on the bench. (as well as the in care buttons.)

Inside the Dash2, you need to tell it where it is getting it's data from - direct wire or off the serial bus. (Speed, RPM, pulses per mile, units, etc.)

RPM - Likely that you don't have the right multiplier in there....

Also, I run the RPM to both the Dash2 and the DL1. Allows for some redundancy.

Make sure that the DL1 has the decode serial data button checked.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

tmadira

Postby tmadira » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:32 am

midlana

Postby midlana » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Don't know if you found my thread (I have the same setup) but maybe it'll be of help to you. It seems us users need to help each other out for the most part... http://www.race-technology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2079

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 am

Hello Gentlemen,

Just to let you know that in the past few months, we have made changes to the way that we deal with forum messages.

We now receive an email every time a new post is received or updated. These emails are then sent to the most relevant engineer.

In the past, someone had to log on manually and check for this, which is why some older messages have not been replied to.

We sincerely apologise for this, but things should greatly improve in future.

If there are any more unanswered older posts, please feel free to add a message to it which will send me an email. I will then forward it on for you.

I hope this helps!

Debbie.

Return to “Installation questions”