Mounting holes on Dash2 - really M4?

ar4me

Mounting holes on Dash2 - really M4?

Postby ar4me » Wed May 28, 2008 4:31 am

I have fabricated my custom instrument cluster to hold the DASH2 and the buttons replacing the stock instrument cluster. I used the template provided with the DASH2 and all holes line up. However, the sheet says the mounting holes are M4, but I see no way M4s will go in. I would expect the M4s to spin in by hand and don't want to force it. Can anyone confirm bolt size and if they could not spin them in by hand?
Thanks,
Jes

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Wed May 28, 2008 8:27 pm

they are thread m4 but the anodising has made the holes a little tight using some self tapping machined m4 screws ( made for Trend Controls ) to self tap int m4 holes with no thread the holes stood up well to being re-tapped in this way due to the short depth the problem is you carnt Tap the holes with a standard Tap.

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 pm

I would have thought a plug/end or even a middle tap would be enough. A taper tap is unlikely to help on a short thread though, and most 'toolkits' only seem to come with taper taps...

Perhaps try and borrow a plug tap from a local garage for ten minutes?
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

ar4me

Postby ar4me » Thu May 29, 2008 1:07 am

Can you guys confirm that it is a 0.70 pitch M4? I stopped by the hardware store and M3 is definitely too small - 0.70 is the only M4 pitch they have.
Jes

ar4me

Postby ar4me » Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 am

Problem solved - it is 0.70 pitch M4. I gently turned a cap head screw back and forth to clean up the threads. I would suggest that Race-Technology does this from the factory since it can easily cross-thread during the initial catch of the thread
Jes

Support

Postby Support » Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am

I will have a word with the case manufacturer and see if we can do something to improve this issue on the cases.

Martin

k3mm

RE: Dash 2 mounting and connection

Postby k3mm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:42 pm

It would be really nice if you supplied an assortment of different length screws with it. Finding appropriate M4's in the US is a bit difficult and when you do, they normally have to be cut down. Then you have to be very careful to clean of the threads and not crossthread them...especially with the bit of paint in the holes. For the money, you should supply a bunch of them to chose from...

I'm also a bit confused by this right-angle connector on the back. There is a locknut which holds the locking ring to the connector body and it came loose while tightening the locking ring. How are you supposed to use this locking nut? It seems to control the overall depth of the mating pieces and I'm afraid of damaging something or getting a bad connection.

Can we buy the basic connector so we can wire our own harness without splicing into a pigtail or having a bunch of unnecessary wires hanging out?
Tyler Stewart
SM #07
NASA Mid-Atlantic

twister

Postby twister » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 am

I have misplaced my template for the dash!
Is there one I can download?

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 am

Jeremy @ Fast Tech Limited (jlucas here) has one in this file:

http://www.fasttechlimited.com/docs/dash2.zip

Return to “Installation questions”