Instal DL1 sideways?

KBL

Instal DL1 sideways?

Postby KBL » Tue May 27, 2008 11:47 am

As I understand it I can instal the DL1 sidewasy (e.g. right side facing forward) as long as I select correct orientation in Analysis – Viechle Option?
But how will the Monitor software knows? Does it read the viechle options in Analysis, or…?

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue May 27, 2008 1:12 pm

This new flexibility does work, as you hope and expect in Analysis.

Monitor doesn't talk to Analysis.
In old monitor and maybe monitor lite, the program will not know and is doomed to ignorance.

In the new Monitor, you can rename, rescale, etc... using a Variable Manager like in Analysis. Therefore, you should be able to create a readout or graphical display that is sensible. I've not used it for a few months, during which time R-T have made improvements.
Perhaps now, an Analysis variable configuration file (.var), will properly talk to Monitor.
This will not be of use with your current issue, but should be of interest and might prove useful down the track.

:)

KBL

Postby KBL » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks, ...I think :wink:
Now I have to instal it with the front facing backwards to get the telemetry working, without having to work with variables and stuf like that.

Sounds like this should be a new feature request.

Kristian

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed May 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Your new feature request is a good idea.
It is logical, on the face of it, that if it can be done in Analysis it could be done in Monitor. It would certainly add flexibility and save the user some work if the method is by GUI.

It's tempting to think the programming is at least half done if the module responsible in Analysis can be plonked into Monitor.

The R-T response will be interesting.
They could rightly say that the flexibility and utility offered is already beyond what we pay for. There are similar and more expensive products that do not provide optional orientations and as much software as exists already.
The ultimate user utility would be dedicated Telemetry software which tracked the vehicle and had prepared windows or templates that displayed common sensors, flagged alarms and took lap marker information from file to display timing and counting parameters, etc, etc...
Of course, this is something that is often provided as an option or extention for additional cost :wink:

Quite probably, much of this style of interface is available in Monitor already, if some D.I.Y effort in telemetry hardware makes live moving vehicle information available at base. Obviously, setting up Monitor involves user level configuration skill and effort. I have just looked at the latest Monitor and can report considerable added value in the form of a layout in several tab selectable screens of pre-defined displays for all general channels and variables in the automotive context.

I suppose a track map display is quite possible using an X,Y graph with data from GPS lat, long or Standard positions (X,Y). :idea:

No pain, no gain :!:

Support

Postby Support » Thu May 29, 2008 7:59 am

Hi,
There are a few shortcomings in the monitor and lite monitor software. At the moment in the monitor software you can't view any of the calculated variables, such as power. This will be changing in the future, we will also be adding the ability to select a car file (required for power calculations) and with this will be the orientation box.
It is more unlikely that this will be added to the lite monitor, since generally that is intended as a quick method of just checking that sensors are working and that data is coming out of your logger rather than as a main display tool.

Regards,
Martin

Return to “Installation questions”