Dash 2 channel name issue from DL1

mebilloz

Dash 2 channel name issue from DL1

Postby mebilloz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 am

Hi All

I have had this problem previously, but this time I would like to resolve it if I can.

I have a DL1 Mk 2, and a DASH 2 display in a Lotus 7 replica.

I have just fitted a couple of brake rotor temp sensors (single channel each), 1 rear and 1 front.

I set up the channels in the DASH 2 package as FROT (Front Rotor A6) and RROT (Rear rotor A4).

set the calibration and decimal point stuff etc, re-wrote the DASH.dat file and loaded it up. The RRot channel comes through fine, but the FROT channel, does not display channel name or data???

Tried configuring another of the 5 screen setups to have FROT first, then RROT as second, same nett outcome.

When back to the DL1 to make sure all its channels are being logged, and that is perhaps where the story takes a worse turn :(. I followed the suggestions of re-formatting the card to put the setup.bin file on. Being a 4Gb card, after a few tries of this and that, i ended up and went and partitioned it to a 2Gb size limit using DISKPART in DOS, I finally remembered that RT Analysis has a tool (link) to format the data cards. Did that, stuck the setup file onto the newly formatted card, but I have no confirmation that it uploaded that file to the DL1.

My suspicion grows from the above when I changed the channel names for the DASH2 channels to be FRT & RRT so I could confirm the upload happened. Re wrote that DASH file to the card, but the Dash wont load this in (ignores the card?). I know this because of my desired name change.
I tried deleting the partition, reformatting the card ( couple of times) to no avail :(, so will buy anther new card in the hope thats the issue.

However, the question around names in config files then not being displayed on the DASH unit remains, as it has happened before and I have just 'moved on', but I would like to 'see' what the F&R rot temps are like whilst on track if possible. I can always review the data latter I know, but that tends to be after the weekends racing. I suspect my data card has died, as if I press the 'log' button, I get a long pause before it indicates logging, but then there is no file logged at the end.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Bill

CharlesElliott

Re: Dash 2 channel name issue from DL1

Postby CharlesElliott » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:16 pm

DL1 Mk 2 requires the CF card to be formatted as FAT which is no longer possible under Windows 10. Do you have an earlier PC you can use to format the card?

mebilloz

Postby mebilloz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 pm

All my PC's are now Win 10. When formatting it gives an option of FAT, FAT32, NTFS. I thought FAT was OK? Or does Win 10 screw that up?

mebilloz

Postby mebilloz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 am

Well, who would have thought Windows VISTA had something going for it. Reformatted the card on the VISTA machine, and hey presto the DL1 now reads and writes to it.

With that small victory, I also determined why the channel was not appearing, turns out at some long ago time, I disabled some unusued (at the time) channels in the DL1. With those channels disabled the DASH was smart enough to know they were disabled and blank the name and value.

Cheers
Bill

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Greg Amy
FastTech Limited, http://www.fasttechlimited.com/
Data Acquisition, Driver Consultation

Return to “General support questions”