Syvecs S6GP Data

TMC Motorsport

Syvecs S6GP Data

Postby TMC Motorsport » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to configure the DL1 to log any and all data produced by the Syvecs S6GP ECU?
For example, my car has a throttle position sensor inputted to the ECU, but not a pedal position sensor. Therefore the DL1 doesn't log any data because the frame identifier on SCal refers to the PPS. I've tried swapping it to TPS, but nothing works.
On top of that, I want to run as many other sensors (fuel level, various temps & pressures, steering input etc) through the Syvecs, but want them logged by the DL1.
I'm sure I am missing something simple to make all this work, so hoping the collective knowledge here can help.

Thanks,
Matt

racetec
Site Admin

Re: Syvecs S6GP Data

Postby racetec » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Matt

We sell a CAN interface for the Syvecs S6GP ECU, which allows the DL1 to receive data directly from the ECU.

Please see below knowledge base page for further information and a full list of the channels available:
https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/in ... /SyvecsCAN

The interface is available to purchase from our website:
https://www.race-technology.com/gb/raci ... interfaces

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Adele

TMC Motorsport

Postby TMC Motorsport » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:45 am

Hi Adele,

Thanks for the reply.

I have the CAN interface installed, and receive the channels listed.
My question is, am I limited to just those channels, or is there a mechanism to open things up to more of the channels of data produced by the ECU?

Thanks,
Matt

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi Matt

This may be possible, but the external interface is limited to 15 channels so if we can do this we would only be able to add one more channel.
If you would like us to look in to this for you, please could you email support@race-technology.com and we will see if we are able to help.

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 am

A current DL1 that has a CAN bus input is able to receive any and all info sent by the S6 via CAN, correct (assuming enough of the 15 CAN channel licenses are purchased)? The 15 channel limitation is only with the CAN to serial interface, right?

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:50 pm

You can add them in multiples of 15 channels, up to a maximum of 75.

TMC Motorsport

Postby TMC Motorsport » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 pm

So in theory I can have the DL1 logging up to 75 channels of data, provided by the ECU?
How does that work?

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm

which version DL1 do you have (is it a Mk3 with a direct CAN input)?

TMC Motorsport

Postby TMC Motorsport » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 pm

DL1 Club.
Just the one serial port but enabled for CAN interface (I think)

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Ok, you can just pay for as many 15 channel CAN licenses that you need (that will take care of the DL1 hardware side).
On the DL1 software side, you will need to set it up to receive the CAN data and then map the incoming CAN data to a DL1 channel.
I've attached a screenshot that will get you going. Once you see how it works, you can modify it as needed (e.g., change parameters that the S6 sends or change the CAN frame IDs), the Syvecs/Life Racing ECUs and the DL1 Club/Mk3 are quite flexible.
I can send you RT's CAN info file for the Life Racing F88 (same as S6GP for our purposes), just send me a message since I can't seem to post it. This will automate some of what you see on my screenshots and what is described below.

Here is a (what I hope is a correct) summary of how to set the DL1 CAN config:
General Info:
- 11 bit message length
- 1M/bit speed
For configuring each input:
- the hex CAN address, which begins with "0x" on the upper left of the CAN channel config screen, corresponds to the info on the "frame identifier" in Datastreams/Custom CAN/Frame Identifier menu. The default Syvecs/Life CAN config puts the first CAN frame at 600, so the CAN address would be 0x600 (though you can change this in SCal, and then you would make the corresponding change in the DL1 config)
- the start bit will need to be determined based on how you setup the Syvecs Custom CAN, but generally, the first slot of a frame has a start bit of zero, the next item has a start bit of 16, the next item has a start bit of 32 and the fourth (final) slow has a start bit of 48.
- all the Syvecs/Life CAN messages are 16 bits in length (as you can tell from the above)
- signed vs unsigned is specified in the Life/Syvecs CAN Datastreams/Custom CAN/Frame Content screen for that item (and has nothing to do with whether the number for that item can be negative)
- byte order is Motorola sequential
- no filtering is needed for any variables, as far as I know
- you do not need to setup an input equation (Input Equation (V)) in the DL1 CAN config unless you want to change the units
- you absolutely need to map the CAN channel to and RT channel - some obviously match up directly (i.e., RPM) whereas you may need to repurpose others. Map out your variables before you purchase licenses to make sure there are variables available in the DL1 software. Like, you can get 75 variables of data over CAN (5 licenses), but there are only 25 temp, 31 aux, 3 angle, 5 pressure and 4 misc variables (total of 64) available for mapping. I am not quite sure how you would map the remaining 9 items. This liimtation could be an issue if you are using a CAN-based tire temp device, which gobble up channels.

Also, if you use the RT .CAN file, be sure to confirm the scaling in the RT DL1 config, as some of the scaling that shows up in the DL1 config differs from that shown at the top of the Life/Syvecs CAN Datastreams/Custom CAN/Frame Content screen for that item (e.g., for fp1_S there is a +10 offset which is not in the F88's conversion and for tcSpinTarg_S, a different scaling altogether is needed).

A couple final items - Serial # 400-499 of the S6GP did not have a working CAN bus and you'll need to send it to Syvecs if you want to use the CAN output. Also, be sure to properly terminate your CAN bus (using resistors, if needed, there is plenty of info on this out there). Finally, you may need another RT cable (a Y cable) that plugs into the DL1 and gives you a serial connection and a CAN connection.
Attachments
DL1 - F88 - RPM.jpg
DL1 - F88 - RPM.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 18740 times
Load RT CAN.jpg
Load RT CAN.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 18740 times

TMC Motorsport

Postby TMC Motorsport » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:23 pm

This is incredible, thank you for taking the time to post it all.

I haven't digested it yet, but all seems logical and easy enough to implement.

Again, really appreciate the help!

Return to “General support questions”