DL1 Mk1 and Mk2 Internal Battary

Colin105

DL1 Mk1 and Mk2 Internal Battary

Postby Colin105 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 pm

So I've had to open up my DL1 Mk2 again, the card reader had failed again, some of the pins in the header for the CF flash socket have un-soldered themselves from the board, all fixed now but in both my DL1 units there is an internal CR Battery soldered to the main board, of course most both are showing pretty much 0 volts due to age, but this doesn't appear to effect their operation? so my first question is , what are they for and the second question is should I replace them? I think in one of the emails I got from RT it was mentioned that they are for the GPS device, so maybe it holds some memory of satellite locations for quicker lock on on power up?
You only need 2 things in your tool box, duct tape and WD40.
-if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape
-if it doesn't move and it should use the WD40

stephen hooker

Re: DL1 Mk1 and Mk2 Internal Battary

Postby stephen hooker » Fri May 12, 2017 8:31 am

Yes they allow the device to remember what satellites are in the area for quick lock on. I have also noted a lot of corrupted files when the battery is dead. I adapted a button cell holder so that I can replace the CR2032 battery annually. No more lost data, and super quick lock on.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

Colin105

Re: DL1 Mk1 and Mk2 Internal Battary

Postby Colin105 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Nice one ,I like the idea of a replaceable holder,i'll definitely rip of that idea and pass it off as my own!

thanks
You only need 2 things in your tool box, duct tape and WD40.
-if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape
-if it doesn't move and it should use the WD40

Return to “General support questions”