Monitoring Video4 voltage (is it lower than DL1 voltage ?)

Jams

Monitoring Video4 voltage (is it lower than DL1 voltage ?)

Postby Jams » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi

I have a DL1 mk2, Video 4 (2 camera with data logging option) and DASH3.

The Video4 is exhibiting signs of low voltage - rear (SD) camera is breaking up.

I log voltage on DL1 by feeding the battery voltage in analogue channel 8 - on most recent race voltage was about 12.3v (I don't run an alternator).

In Video4 config I went into Configuration | Data Configuration and selected the option to take voltages and temps from internal sensors (all other sensors are flagged as exteral).

The only place I could find to view the Video4 voltage in Analysis is in the Variable manager under Serial Variables | Battery Voltage (misc 3). It reported 11.6v - much lower than the voltage the DL1 reported (and also lower than my multimeter measured the the input voltage to the Video4 !)

Question 1: Is Serial Voltage | Battery Voltage the correct variable to show the Video4 voltage ?

Question 2 : Assuming it is, why would the Video4 voltage be significantly lower than DL1 voltage when both are being fed from the same point ?

All help and suggestions appreciated.

Jimmy

Support (D)

Re: Monitoring Video4 voltage (is it lower than DL1 voltage ?)

Postby Support (D) » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi Jimmy,

The issue you are seeing is very unlikely to be a lack of voltage issue, if the voltage was too low the unit would completely switch off not just one of the cameras.

Have you got any other cameras conencted to the VIDEO4? (If so do they work?)

Has the camera (rear SD camera) ever worked correctly?

Kind regards,
Support (D)

Jams

Re: Monitoring Video4 voltage (is it lower than DL1 voltage ?)

Postby Jams » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi

Yes - I have a front facing HD camera working correctly and the rear facing SD is the one that is failing - both have been working correctly in my other race car. I have just switched the kit to a new car. I was sure I read somewhere ( ? in the knowledge base) that the SD camera will fail before the HD one if voltage falls - maybe I was imagining it.

Initially I was getting the whole Video4 resetting and giving me maybe 5 or 6 files for a 15 minute session. It was looking like a low voltage issue, but my DL1 analogue 8 input (connected to the battery) was showing a minimum voltage of maybe 11.6.

I check all wiring, recharged battery and told Video4 to measure voltage/temps from internal sensors. I then got a full session in a single file, but with only the rear camera breaking up.

I think I will order a rear camera as a test (and it will be useful to have a spare).

Question however : For info, when I tell Video4 to measure voltage/temp using internal sensors - where can I see that voltage in the data ? Is it in the variable "Battery Voltage", in the "Serial Variables" section of the Variable manager ?

Thanks for your help

Jimmy

Return to “General support questions”