Sensor/DL 1 Accuracy verification

Jim Perry

Sensor/DL 1 Accuracy verification

Postby Jim Perry » Mon May 18, 2015 11:47 am

Perhaps no one is doing what we are, but if you are, please offer assistance if you can, or direct me to a site/group/ individual who you believe might be helpful.

We have dual lead EGT thermocouples. That is, one set leads to a digital dash gauge and the other feeds into an Exhaust Gas Technologies Thermocouple Signal Converter/Amplifier.

I have checked the voltages on the thermocouple leads and the output leading to the DL 1 from the amplifier. (One cannot get 1000 degrees to test the EGT probes, so the best you can so is use ice water and boiling water.)

The issue I am having is that the digital readings I am seeing on the track are not the same as what is being recorded by the DL 1. The recorded data shows signifcantly (100F+) ON ONE CHANNEL than the gauge. The higher recorded reading are worrisome.

Is there a way to check the accuracy of the DL 1?
Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Vintage Volvo Racing

Turby

Postby Turby » Mon May 18, 2015 12:51 pm

The DL1 simply records a voltage, its up to you to configure the analysis software / dash etc to convert this to something more meaningful. I developed my own twin channel thermocouple reader and it reads pretty much spot on over my intended temp range :)

Jim Perry

Postby Jim Perry » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks for the message. We used the math provided by Exhaust Gas Tecnologies to enter into the DL 1 software. The issue still remains "which do we believe, the digital gauge with no user-entered calculations or the DL1 that has the math entered.

I guess what I would like to do is apply a certain amount of mV to the DL1 connections and see what it the graph shows in degrees F. That would seem to indicate if the DL1 is producing reliable data.
Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Vintage Volvo Racing

Jim Perry

Postby Jim Perry » Mon May 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks for the message. We used the math provided by Exhaust Gas Tecnologies to enter into the DL 1 software. The issue still remains "which do we believe, the digital gauge with no user-entered calculations or the DL1 that has the math entered."

I guess what I would like to do is apply a certain amount of mV to the DL1 connections and see what it the graph shows in degrees F. That would seem to indicate if the DL1 is producing reliable data.
Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Vintage Volvo Racing

Turby

Postby Turby » Mon May 18, 2015 1:11 pm

You could use the monitor software to calibrate your thermocouple output over a known temp range eg 0 (ice water) to 100 (boiling water). is do your own calibration and see how it compares to the one expected

Return to “General support questions”