Export to video with GoPro licence / Audio lag

Frankygoes

Export to video with GoPro licence / Audio lag

Postby Frankygoes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:20 am

I'm trying to export to video using the GoPro licence.
Exports fine (Even if it is very slow) but the audio lags the video by about 2 seconds for every minute of video.
The video goes black for about a seconds every couple of minutes. Looks like the audio lag is similar in lenght to the blackouts. Maybe there is a link maybe not ?

I tried the different video quality setup.
Im using Windows 7 with Aero theme switched off.
RT version 8.5
Norton but have the Swap file excluded from the real time protection.
I'm synching manually with only one point.

I will try all suggestions. I would really like to make this work.

Support

support

Postby Support » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Hello,

I suspect you are running an early version of the video export as it is currently getting used a lot and we are not having any reports of issues.

If you open the analysis what version does it say at the top?

I am running 8.5.324 without problems. If it is earlier then this please download our latest version from our website and try again.

Kind regards,
Support (K)

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 am

Just a note, I have the latest software as downloaded from the website and my Analysis version is 8.5.320

Turby

Postby Turby » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:36 pm

As an aside the name of the latest analysis download is called Setup_8.5.0150 which is actually 8.5.320 - this probably causes a lot of confusion!

So not sure how you can obtain version 8.5.324 ?

Support

Support

Postby Support » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 pm

Ah, sorry my bad for causing confusion. I am running a development version.

The download isn't just one program. Each time a new download is available a new setup version is created and the analysis may have not been changed.

I should have referred to the setup download version number.

Please test with this version and let me know.

Regards,
K

Frankygoes

New version of Analysis installed

Postby Frankygoes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:30 am

Hi,

I have the new version of analysis installed. Regardless of the setup name it is version 8.5.320

Same result (Audio delay) and a little worse since I get an error message with the fast encoding mode 'error in overlay frame' . I'm using the standard 'GT_1080_MPH.VGL' overlay.

I do not get the error as often in slow encoding mode. It also fails to generate the video sometimes. 'Video generation failed'.

I've done this export 20 times by now and I notice the video is jerky. Like skipping foreward by less than a second from time to time. Maybe the video is leading more than the audio is lagging. I'm stumpped.

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:26 am

What spec is the machine you are doing the export on?

I ask as you mention "Exports fine (Even if it is very slow)"

The export option shows you a running estimate of Frame rate, what do you get at say 1080p video, Full Res, faster encoding, medium quality?

I've just done one on a fairly busy [with other stuff] laptop and get around 9.5fps

Frankygoes

Postby Frankygoes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:27 am

I'm on an HP Pavilion g series.
4 Cores / Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz
Radeon graphic cards (TM) HD 6470M

I just did a small export using the parameters above. The frame rate average was 7.25 FPS

I loaded the result video to youtube so you can see the result here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJEnmM ... e=youtu.be
You can here the silence in the last 2 seconds because of the bad synch.

Thanks

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:52 am

Yes, I could see/hear the audio sync issues gradually slip in as the video progressed.

Certainly the machine you are on is up to the job.

I've done 100s of video exports with no such issue so it must be some sort of oddity/mismatch. As i'm UK I am working with 25fps though.

I wonder if it's anything to do with PAL/NTSC conflicts.
What fps is the source GoPro video?
What option did you tick when you installed the RT software, PAL or NTSC (defaults to NTSC I think) [don't think is relevant to fps but worth knowing]

Oddly, i'd never seen "error in overlay frame" until I installed the very latest version?

I suspect it is some issue with the source video vs. rt export so what you 'could try' to get to the bottom of it is to process the video with GoPro Studio, import the video, no need to edit unless you want to, then export and choose to export as custom, with source resolution but 25fps (if not already). Bitrate wise the GoPro videos are waaay OTT and you can export at around 6-8 Mbps with no discernable quality loss (makes for a smaller file and quicker to process).

Frankygoes

Postby Frankygoes » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 am

I reloaded the latest version of analysis from scratch making sure I was using the NTSC protocol. I'm using the same on the source GoPro file and I'm in North America so I would rather not use the PAL setup unless I absolutely have to.

The GoPro is set at 30 FPS.
I use Race Renderer to edit and splice files. It generates at 29.99 FPS. It does not generate in 30 FPS in full HD.

I tried exporting using Direct3D and directX in the video analysis option.
I tried exporting without an overlay specified and I now get the overlay error every 40 seconds of the exporting process and the Export systematically fails in every choice of resolution.

In a nut shell I'm doing worse than before. I cannot test anymore as I never get to see the result of the export...

Can you post a link here to the setup of the most recent version (But not the last one) that was working without giving an overlay error so I can test what you proposed. Babysiting every export to override that error multiple times is aggravating.

Thanks.

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:46 am

Frankygoes wrote: ...
I use Race Renderer to edit and splice files. It generates at 29.99 FPS. It does not generate in 30 FPS in full HD.

I suspect this may be the cause of the problem, have you tried doing an export with the raw GoPro MP4 files?

They don't need to start at the same time, you just sync at whatever point is easiest and in the video export choose what you want to export.

If you have more than 1 Gopro file you need to 'join' it's very simple and quick using ffmpeg (freely available online) or use GoPro studio.

With GoPro studio you can edit the start/finish, join files, alter exposure etc. crop/zoom the video (often very useful) and all sorts of other processing, then save at a lower bitrate which makes video export from the Analysis program quicker (if you are exporting at 5mbs there is no need to keep the GoPro video at what is often 25mbs+

A quick way if you just want to join the videos is to use ffmpeg which is a command line video processing tool.

Just download it, install, move the videos you want to join to the 'bin' folder of ffmpeg.

Create a .txt file (lets call it "gpfiles.txt") and list the file you want to join, like so :-

file 'File1.mp4'
file 'File2.mp4'

Then create a .bat file (lets call it "gpjoin.bat") with this line of code :-

ffmpeg -f concat -i gpfiles.txt -c copy gpjoined.mp4

Then open a command prompt in the bin folder and type

gpjoin

And this should create a joined file called gpjoined.mp4

You can do it all on the command line, without the .txt and .bat but this useful if you are to do it time and time again.

Frankygoes

Postby Frankygoes » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:59 pm

I tried GoPro studio but I do not understand how to use it to convert a video even after I read the instruction manual... Must have been written by a 19 year old and since I'm already of the previous generation I just don't get it. I understand how Race render3 operates and I found the way to convert my video from 29.99 to 25 FPS.

So now the audio delay is fixed but the export fails 50% of the time. Worse the longer the video. It is the overlay error that comes up all the time when exporting again.

1. My Analysis is installed with the NTSC format default. Should I install again with the PAL default ? Can I change the default without reinstalling ?

2. Shoult I reinstall version 250 ? I still have the setup exec for that version.

Thanks for the weekend support by the way !

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Can you drop me an email at maxx(at)driver-coaching.com

Frankygoes

Thank you Malcolm

Postby Frankygoes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:36 am

Resolution !

I had to reset my computer to an earlier version (System backup) to erase all Analysis data from all the different versions of Analysis I tried in the process of fixing this issue.

I'm now using version 8.5.280
I've modified my source videos to 25FPS instead of 30 (29.99) FPS.

Information from RT is that version 8.3.315 and up has the 'Overlay' error.
It will get fixed with a further update.

Thanks again Malcolm for the great help.

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am

You're welcome. Be interested to hear if the audio lag is still present if you try the original 30fps source?

Return to “General support questions”