Wireless telemetry

Hrdbill

Wireless telemetry

Postby Hrdbill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm due to receive my dash 2 and DL1 sport later this week.
It is for use on a classic mini rally car, doing mainly sealed surface events.

I've been doing some digging and wondered if anyone is able to she'd any more light on the topic of wireless/remote monitoring of the data logger.

I took a look at a few previous posts, but they were nearly three years old and I am sure there have been some advances since then.

Here is a link to the RT page introducing the topic.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/LegacyProducts/TelemetrySystem

Thanks in advance, Bill

Hrdbill

Postby Hrdbill » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Anyone able to shed some light on this ? just curious, you know..

Thanks

Hrdbill

Postby Hrdbill » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Anyone able to shed some light on this ? just curious, you know..

Thanks

Halsbury Racing

Postby Halsbury Racing » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:30 pm

I run a dash2, dl1 and ECU through an RT serial interface cable.
I have made my own wireless system using cheap items from Ebay.
I have had telemetry data from the car, to a Linksys WRT54 wireless router, through RT's monitor software, and then 'ported' to an Android tablet using TeamViewer software.
I have yet to test this anything over 300 meters - but am hoping to get 600-900 meters using high-gain antennas when we get the car out on track.

For me, the big stumbling block was that I am forced (by the ECU interface cable) to use the 115K baud setting on the DL1 datalogger. This rules out the use of cheap serial radios as most are not cabable of this high a speed.

I would also recommend using UDP or other low-maintainance protocol 'over the air' and using Tactical's UDP to COM software to port the UDP stream into RT's Monitor software Com port. (I initially tried TCPIP but the communication drops out and won't automatically reconnect which makes this protocol unusable out on track.

If you can run your DL1 at 19k Baud, you can buy RS232 radios very cheap on Ebay. You will need patience though - The RT DL1 and Monitor software is very much plug-and-play; but the wireless side can be pretty tricky.

best of luck,
Paul

Jimster

Postby Jimster » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Have you got any more info on the hardware your using on how you connected it all up?

Thanks

Jim

Hrdbill

Postby Hrdbill » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Would something like this be sufficient?

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/info_ZULU_M868_SO.html

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:50 am

It isn't advertised on the website, but we do have firmware for the ECU interface to change baud rate, so you connect one serial port at 115.2kbaud and get data out of the other port at whatever speed it is programmed for. If you are technically minded this can also be done with a simple microcontroller and a little bit of firmware.

Martin

Return to “General support questions”