DL1 - no lights

DomiSeven

DL1 - no lights

Postby DomiSeven » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 am

Hello.
I have built a Westfield superseven and from the start had a working setup with a Dash2 and Omex600.

This wednesday I got a used DL1 that to my understanding has been working well.
I connected it to the interface and supplied it with earth and +12V (the same feed as the interface).
At first all lights on the DL1 lit up and I read in the forum that I should try to remove the gps cable so I did, after that the power light was on and the one under it (I think, not sure) was sort of flashing.
I also tried to send a configuration file SYSTEM.BIN I think it was to the DL1 but that was using a 8GB CF card with FAT32 and that might not have worked, Im not sure if I should be able to see if the DL1 is reading from the card? I saw no difference.
The only data that the Dash2 is taking from DL1 is time and date (the wrong time and date), and that did actually show up on the display.

But then I left the DL1 on while warming up the engine (refilling the cooling system) and after that there was no lights at all on the DL1. I tried to turn it off and then on again, I also tried to remove the green connection block and reconnecting it again but no change so I turned everything off and connected a charger and went home.

Thursday.
I read (too late obviously) that cranking the engine with the DL1 connected might damage it (which is a seriously weak spot for something mounted in a car :p).
And thats exactly what I had done earlier.
Anyway I got the another 2GB cf-card formatted to fat16, inserted it and turned the ignition key to the first position and the DL1 lit up, I was even able to log and open that file in the analysis program.
But reading about the cranking I thought I would add a switch to the +12V wire connected to the DL1, but when that was done and I turned the switch on, the DL1 was "dead" again, no lights no nothing.
I tried flipping the switch several times during the day, I even tried it connected to a 12V power supply on my workbench with and without the card and antenna.

I bought it second hand so I have no receipt and the warranty is out I guess, But I still want it to work :)
What do I do?

I have sent a support ticket but no answer so far so I thought I'd try here as well.

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 pm

There is no problem in logging on the Dl1 whilst cranking... the only issue is that if the voltage drops too low then it might stop logging, but it doesn't damage the unit!!

It sounds like just a bad power connection to me - I would suggest that you disconnected everything except power, and started logging and then give all the power connections a good wiggle see if you find find the issue.

WBR, RT Support - Andy

DomiSeven

Postby DomiSeven » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Support wrote:There is no problem in logging on the Dl1 whilst cranking... the only issue is that if the voltage drops too low then it might stop logging, but it doesn't damage the unit!!

It sounds like just a bad power connection to me - I would suggest that you disconnected everything except power, and started logging and then give all the power connections a good wiggle see if you find find the issue.

WBR, RT Support - Andy

Thats a relief to hear I didnt kill it by cranking :)

This is a picture of the logger connected to a CTEK Multi XS 25000 that can act as a power source.
There is only the charger and the wires (with a 1A fuse on the positive) go directly to the connection block.
Still no lights :cry:
DomiSeven - Westfield SEiW with 2L Zetec Blacktop.
www.domiseven.se

DomiSeven

Postby DomiSeven » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:21 pm

.. and today it was working, I connected it to a battery on my workbench and it lit up.
So I tried it in the car and it worked there as well, tried to wiggle the cables and connections and it still worked.
Dunno what has been wrong the last couple of days..
www.domiseven.se

Support

Postby Support » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:42 am

:evil: - sounds like a crappy connection somewhere!!

Support - Andy

DomiSeven

Postby DomiSeven » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm

:lol:
Yeah sure, but then again every time it has been lights off I've measured and had 12V at the connection block :?
www.domiseven.se

stephen hooker

Postby stephen hooker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am

Check the connector for problems, dirty contacts etc.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

Return to “General support questions”