Link G4 ECU connection

sparkystav

Link G4 ECU connection

Postby sparkystav » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello,

im looking at buying a Dash2 and the Link G4 cable adaptor.

i havent seen one in person so can anyone confirm, does it just plug into the round connector on the side of the ecu of does it need wiring into the ecu in some way?

thanks
is200tt.co.nr

WillM

Postby WillM » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:31 pm

I believe the Link G4 is very similar to Vi-PEC.

I have a Vi-PEC V88 (which would be the Link G4 Extreme).

You need a serial data cable for the Link. My Vi-PEC came with a USB tuning cable, so I had to order a serial tuning cable from Vi-PEC (as the DL-1 ECU interface can only connect to the ECU via a 9-pin serial connector).

I'm using the Serial ECU connection kit with my Vi-PEC. The Vi-PEC (and Link, I assume) only started supporting CAN in early 2011. Before 2011 and the latest round of Vi-PEC firmware updates, the CAN port on the ecu actually put out serial data - NOT CAN data. I purchased my Vi-PEC and DL-1 serial interface in 2010. As such, I have no idea whether or not the Link/Vi-PEC CAN data output works with the DL-1 CAN ECU interface.

For what it is worth, the Vi-PEC manual states that the ECU cannot use both ports simultaneously. I use the USB port for tuning and disconnect the wire when not in use. I use the CAN port as serial output to the DL-1 ECU interface, and disconnect this port when I'm tuning (and the USB port is in use).

Race-Technology has updated the Vi-PEC/Link serial ECU configuration quite a bit since I first started using the interface. There are many more channels logged now than there were before. In any event, this article in R-T's Knowledgebase seems current. The setup suggestions and output channels listed in the article mirror my experiences:

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... 8AndLinkG4

sparkystav

Postby sparkystav » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:23 pm

excellent thanks for the response,

better research the link see if i can use the canbus or if i need the serial.

Link dont seem to sell a serial adapter though so would a usb to serial adapter work?
is200tt.co.nr

Support

LINK G4

Postby Support » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 am

Hello,

The link G4 interface is supplied with a standard RS232 9 pin d-type connector.

You will need to make an adaptor if the ECU is not supplied with one that goes from the 9 way to the ECU connector. Veiw page 25 of this manual for ECU connections>>> http://www.linkecu.com/support/document ... /G4Install

Our connections can be found here>>> http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... onnections

TX connects to RX and vice versa

Kind regards,
Race Technology[/img]

WillM

Postby WillM » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:55 pm

sparkystav wrote:Link dont seem to sell a serial adapter though so would a usb to serial adapter work?

Link should make one and have it available for sale. Vi-PEC doesn't advertise it, but they sell 'em. I'm sure the Vi-PEC cable would work with your link just the same.

Alternatively, you could order another Link USB tuning cable, cut the USB connector off, and replace it with a DB-9/serial connector, using the above-referenced documents.

Unfortunately, the USB & CAN ports on the ECU seem to use a proprietary connector. I believe they are made by Switchcraft, and are difficult to source (for a reasonable price) here in the US. The situation may be different across the pond. :) If i were you, I'd contact your local Link or Vi-PEC dealer and ask about a serial comms cable.

sparkystav

Postby sparkystav » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:43 pm

ive got a spare USB cable for the link so distroyed that.

though oddly it has a ground, Can L, Can H, and RS232 TX but not RX?!

its enough for the dash2 though so should be ok.
is200tt.co.nr

WillM

Postby WillM » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:37 pm

sparkystav wrote:ive got a spare USB cable for the link so distroyed that.

I've heard that you can't rely on the color codes as listed in the manual. Double check the wires to the pins with a multimeter, and remember that the diagram on p25 of the Link manual is looking at the connector on the ECU, not the plug on the cable.

sparkystav

Postby sparkystav » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:25 pm

WillM wrote:
sparkystav wrote:ive got a spare USB cable for the link so distroyed that.

I've heard that you can't rely on the color codes as listed in the manual. Double check the wires to the pins with a multimeter, and remember that the diagram on p25 of the Link manual is looking at the connector on the ECU, not the plug on the cable.

I didnt follow the colours just identified the cores like you suggested with a multimeter.
is200tt.co.nr

sparkystav

Postby sparkystav » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Also what does the Race technologies cable apart from split the cable for use with both a logger and ecu?

could i just join the lead from the link to the rs232 wires on the dash?

The wire colours are wrong on the diagram an oddly just checked again and the RS232 RX connection is the braided sheath of the cable?
is200tt.co.nr

WillM

Postby WillM » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:54 pm

sparkystav wrote:Also what does the Race technologies cable apart from split the cable for use with both a logger and ecu?

could i just join the lead from the link to the rs232 wires on the dash?

The wire colours are wrong on the diagram an oddly just checked again and the RS232 RX connection is the braided sheath of the cable?

The "Race Technologies cable" is more than just a Y-cable. There is a small box built into the cable that includes the interface hardware (and firmware).

I doubt very much that you could connect the R-T dash directly to your Link ECU, but the answer to that resides above my pay grade. :)

sparkystav

Postby sparkystav » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:57 pm

not a problem, ordered both the dash and serial cable now so job done
is200tt.co.nr

Return to “General support questions”