Errant RPM logging with VIDEO4, DL1, DASH3 combination

SteveR

Errant RPM logging with VIDEO4, DL1, DASH3 combination

Postby SteveR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

RPM logging (and display of the RPM variable on DASH3) does not occur until the DL1 Logging button is pressed, regardless of whether VIDEO4 Logging button has been pressed. Here is a step-by-step description of the problem.

1. I created a DL1 configuration file using the "For connection to VIDEO4 and optionally DASH" button.

2. I loaded it on the root directory of a FAT configured flash card. I assume that FAT is FAT 16. Windows only shows me FAT and FAT32. So, I assume FAT is FAT16.

3. I powered the DL1 on, waited for it to boot, then pushed the CF card into the slot. I see the Logging light come on for a minute then the lights look normal.

4. With the DL1 connected only to the RPM input (plus GPS), I start the car and log the RPM on the DL1. In the analysis software, the RPM displays correctly with the ignition pulses set to 2 in the Vehicle options. This makes sense for my 4 cylinder 944.

5. I connect the DL1 to both VIDEO4 and DASH3 using the three way cable connected the way its illustrated in the VIDEO4 manual.

6. I have the DASH3 configured to display numeric RPM using the RPM input variable.

7. I start the car and power on the three boxes.

8. I get a Low RPM alarm on the DASH3. I clear the alarm. Looking at the DASH3 screen that displays RPM, it shows a rapidly changing number from roughly 50-400. Looks like random feedback. It's not RPM. I can press the VIDEO4 Start/Stop Recording button and it creates a log that contains the bad RPM number.

9. If I press the DL1 Start/Stop logging button, the DASH3 RPM signal immediately displays the correct RPM and the logged data confirms that. There is no CF in the DL1, only the VIDEO4. I can press the DL1 Start/Stop button again and accurate RPM continues to log and display. It's like I have to press the DL1 logging button to jump start the correct RPM display.

Since the DL1 is connected to both the DASH3 and VIDEO4, is the DL1 sending the RPM to the DASH3 or is the VIDEO4? The way the split serial cable looks, the VIDEO4 isn't connected to the DASH3. Unless some pins are output from the VIDEO4 and input to the DASH3 while being connected simultaneously to the DL1. It's like the DL1 is sending RPM to both the DASH3 and the VIDEO4, but the RPM input frequency is not the same for both units and there is only one RPM channel, so it's either 100Hz or 25Hz, it can't be both. I just can't figure this out. I have a set of files from a VIDEO4 logging session that demonstrates this. You can clearly see the RPM log start returning accurate idle RPM as soon as I press the DL1 button.

Steve

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Steve,

Not sure if this is your problem or not but there is a setting you need to check/set in the VIDEO4 Config file.

If you go into Video->VIDEO4 Configuration
Load the .VGL file you are using.
Select Configurtion->Data Configuration

In the Data-Input section make sure the 'RPM Input' is selected in the 'Always take from external data port', if not set it.

Save the Config file to the VIDEO4 data card as DEFAULT.VGL in the root folder.

With the V4 powered up, insert the card and wait for it to update.

Just to be doubly sure you are using your updated file you could make a small addition to the VIDEO4 layout, maybe just put a 'v 1.1' some inconspicuous (text field).

Malcolm

SteveR

Postby SteveR » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 pm

I'll double-check this at the track this weekend, but I'm pretty sure I had tried this at some point. The config screen reads, "...these options are only available for the VIDEO4 with internal data option..." So, I assumed that there would be no effect anyway.

Steve

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Steve,

Ah, sorry, been working with a V4GPS recently, as far as I know that is just valid for the V4+GPS.

Back to the drawing board .. don't think it's this but maybe worth checking, in case the V4 is 'corrupting' the revs.

In the V4 layout there is an RPM option under Configuration->RPM

I think this is only for display purposes but you never know.

Malcolm

SteveR

Postby SteveR » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Yes, I think that is for display purposes. I have it set to 2 as I do the pulses in Analysis and the correct RPM are displayed on my video layout (when the correct RPM are displayed on the DASH3).

Steve

Return to “General support questions”