DL1 starting logging by itself!

Dave E

DL1 starting logging by itself!

Postby Dave E » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:00 am

I seem to have developed a haunted DL1 since adding a serial ecu interface (MBE type). Logging is normally controlled by one of the four control buttons on my Dash 2. Stopping/stating in this way seems to work fine.

However, since the serial interface was added I'm frequently seeing the green logging light appearing on the Dash2, (along with the little icon on the display); once this has happened trying to stop the logging with the Dash2 buttons fails, only cutting the ignition seems to work.

The DL1 is the early green Phoenix connector type, on the latest (but still a few years old) firmware. The Dash2 is also one of the earlier ones, with firmware last updated last summer.

The DL1 has been configured with the latest configuration program - the one that tells you to disable rpm for both card and serial connections, there are no auto start settings in place.

Help!

Edited to add: once it's "stuck" on, the stop/start logging button on the front of the DL1 doesn't stop it either.

Dave E

Postby Dave E » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Now it's started completely freezing the Dash display; did it once about 45 mins into a one hour drive this morning, then four or five times on the way back.

osborni

Postby osborni » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Dunno if this is the issue, but I pulled back the frequency that I send data out on the serial bus and that seamed to make the whole system more stable. IIRC, there isn't any error correction on the bus due to the need for processing speed. The issue is that any corrupt data will fritz out either the dash or the DL1. My issue was always the Dash, not the DL1 though.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Dave E

Postby Dave E » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:45 pm

It does seem to have been the Dash2 locking up today, the phantom logging, not sure which "end" that's originating at.

I think I'll try reducing the data are as you say, if that doesnt work, I'll take the serial lead out of the system and try again. It does all seem to have started after adding the serial ecu interface though.

Dave E

Postby Dave E » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:59 pm

OK, not had any reoccurrence of the phantom logging since I reassigned the user functions being triggered by the four control buttons. I also reduced the amount of data being sent to the dash from the DL1.

However, and it's a big however, instead of logging randomly, the dash is now intermittently locking up completely. The Dash2 just freezes on whatever screen it was displaying at the time. The DL1 continues to work fine whilst the Dash2 is frozen. Powering the Dash down "fixes" it.

I think a call to support on Tuesday, unless anyone has any ideas?

Return to “General support questions”