DL1/Dash3 Lap Time Display problem

Trackgrip

DL1/Dash3 Lap Time Display problem

Postby Trackgrip » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:08 am

We have a DL1 Mk2 and Dash3 display, which we fitted in our FF1600 earlier this year. The problem we have is that the Dash 3 will not display lap times to the driver. Some times it will display a time, which is not the same as the ones we download from the logger, and other times it will just display a false fastest lap time.

We have reset and download all the settings many times to try and clear this fault. We have a start/finish marker set and 5 other lap markers set. When we download the data from the logger all the markers are in the correct locations.

During races we can compare the DL1 data with the track timing equipment and usually the lap times are different by several tenths of a second. When using a hand held stopwatch standing at the start/finish line we can get exactly the same times as the track system so there must be a problem with the DL1.

It's important for my driver to be able to see his lap times in qualifying and he is making my life hell after we spent so much money on a professional system.

PLEASE HELP!

DarkGift

Postby DarkGift » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:40 pm

+1. I have the same exact issues. Could this be related to the bug where the wrong sector is used for the lap marker? Is there an ETA for a fix for either (both?) of these bug(s)?

DarkGift

Postby DarkGift » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Bump again. This is REALLY frustrating to not be getting valid lap and predictive times for qualifying (and to a lesser extent, during the race.)

Could we please get a response from RT support on this?

Jet-Tech

Postby Jet-Tech » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Why not email support :?:

DarkGift

Postby DarkGift » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:14 am

Jet-Tech wrote:Why not email support :?:

Already have. Haven't heard a peep for months.

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:40 pm

The DL1 uses GPS signals which are received at 10 cycles per second. At a ~100 mph, that's one update every ~14 feet or so. So. essentially it's accurate to about 1/10th of a second - which is the error you are reporting.

As for the sector/lap times..

I own a Dash2, so this may vary....

There is a warning time as well as a delay time for when the information is displayed. Best bet is to have the loaded sector markers at track out or in the 1st half of the straight so there is time for the system to display the information then enough time for the driver to process the information.

On the Dash2, there are settings that can only be made on the actual dash itself.

Also make sure that the DL1 is setup properly to send the right GPS data to the Dash3 and you have a sector file loaded in the root directory with an 8.3 format name. A GPS lock needs to be obtained before logging is started as well.

Calling support works better then emailing them. They are a smaller operation....
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Support

Postby Support » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi,

We've not got any outstanding support issues from anyone to the best of my knowledge (I just checked). If you have an outstanding issue, then please email in again, or use the ticketing system.

For information, the lap timing isn't limited to 0.1seconds as we interpolate between samples. In the end the lap timing accuracy is limited to the drift in GPS position between 2 laps. From our testing this tends to be in the range of "a few 1/100ths" and comparible to an optical system that typically has a beam width of a few meters.

Kind regards, Support

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:45 pm

OK - good to know. thanks for the clarification.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

DarkGift

Postby DarkGift » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Here's the ticket:

Ticket #: [RT1281548961]
Subject: Incorrect Lap Times on DASH3

It has not been resolved. I believe it is due to you incorrectly using the 1st sector marker as the start/finish instead of the actual start/finish marker. (Also still not resolved see ticket RT1277217769.)

Osborni (Jim?) - It can be off way more than .1. I've had it read +1 second.

I'll open another ticket and reference these above, but I know I'm not the only one with these issues who has been in contact with RT with these issues. Given there hasn't been a firmware update for the DL1/DASH3 for quite some time, I'm not sure how you guys thought this was resolved.

It's very frustrating that this wasn't fixed for both NASA Nationals and the Runoffs. :(

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Ian, not Jim :)

Anyway, could be a poor / bad GPS lock...
BMW 2000 M Coupe

DarkGift

Postby DarkGift » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:19 pm

osborni wrote:Ian, not Jim :)

Anyway, could be a poor / bad GPS lock...

Times are fine when you look at them in Analysis. I also checked the GPS signals and they were fine. This is at my local track that I've run a zillion times and the problem is recent. It's pretty clear that when you get a sector time at start finish and a lap time where you set sector one that something is amiss. ;)

Sorry about the name confusion, I know (of a) Jim who runs BMWs as well, but I guess Ian does fit the "i" in your username much better.

emersom

Postby emersom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

I have the same issues with a FF1600 too! I have posted separately about this. Did you get it resolved? Does it now work? This is driving me mad!

Return to “General support questions”