Dash2 displays New Marker with formatted compact flash

MatsB

Dash2 displays New Marker with formatted compact flash

Postby MatsB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Occassionally the Dash2 seem to recieve a new marker at startup despite the compact flash card is formatted and empty.

Going out on a new track, it is bad news, as last time a marker was added was 300km away.

Why does this happen and how can it be erased?

Thanks for your support

Support

Postby Support » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:58 am

I have sometimes seen an issue where timing information is shown when the DASH2 is first turned on, but I have never seen a problem where a marker is actually added. The main advise with regards to lap timing is to ensure that you have a GPS lock before starting the run. This ensures that there is good data right from the beginning and that no markers can be added with bad data. If you are using autostart to start runs then it is safest to start based on vehicle speed as them ensures that you have a GPS lock before logging starts.

Regards,
Martin

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:24 pm

My car's been out of action for a while, so maybe a firmware change has cleaned this up, but quite often logging was started (by autostart) when the car was still off the ground in the garage!

It was not uncommon to see GPS speeds in excess of the 15 kph start condition before the unit achieved proper navigation. :oops:

I didn't express my desire then, but there's no time like the present:
:idea: wheelspeed would be a handy trigger to add to the arsenal - assuming it hasn't been added in my 'absence'.

osborni

Postby osborni » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:11 pm

There is a reason why I like a dash mounted, illuminated, push button to start the logger.....

NKK makes some nice ones.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

faraday

Postby faraday » Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 am

Nice, but when I say my car, I'm the engineer, not the driver. It's difficult to reach into this GT style race car, even if you can be next to it when it leaves the pits...

I often do data for several cars at a meeting, usually in the one category. Invariably the driver is the car owner, with assorted friends and relatives as crew. At least if I'm at the same circuit, I can normally make sure that there is a suitable card in the logger and the battery is charged, if it has its own supply.

Of course there are times when national vs regional or more important family events clash.
Not all the relationships are commercial :roll:
You're fortunate, as most users of this equipment are, being owner, driver and engineer (hopefully with some friendly and intelligent assistance, even if its just catering for non-car needs and paperwork) so you can take full responsibility and care.
:wink:

twister

Postby twister » Fri May 01, 2009 12:46 am

Faraday good to read your post!
Hope you are well and thanks for your input!

faraday

Postby faraday » Fri May 01, 2009 7:40 am

Ta.
Fine apart from a dicky knee from coaching assistance to U/12 footy :oops:

Return to “General support questions”