Holding in Memory Card on DL1

Jimster

Holding in Memory Card on DL1

Postby Jimster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Today was the first time I used my DL1 in anger. The car did 3 sessions, and each time the memory card came out. Is this common?? What is the best way of holding them in place, velcro around the DL1???

At the moment my DL1 is solid mounted, not on rubber bushes, is this the problem??

My suspension on my car isn't that hard as it's a classic shapped mini, but it is pretty firm. The track I was using (Llandow) is not a rough track.

Any ideas?

faraday

Postby faraday » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:26 am

The problem is not common, but has been experienced by a few users, including myself. I should have asked the question of the others who have responded to some other forum posts on this issue:
Is the logger facing backwards or forwards :?:

In my single case, it was facing forwards, so one assumes the card came out during a braking event. The card was not found :cry:
The car in this instance was not the harshest or most severely driven, by a long shot, but it was a high performance racing saloon on large slick racing tyres. We resorted to race tape, replaced quickly to avoid the mess with two rubber bands that fitted snugly around the logger.

The logger was not AV mounted in this case, but by virtue of the folds in its mounting bracket had a small air gap underneath that fortuitously made room for the bands.

:( I had advised the guy's fabricator to use AV mounting. The car that I use as an exemplar installation is the fastest closed car in circuit racing in the country and an Australian Champion. I have this one forward facing, but of course it is AV mounted.
Nevertheless, I'm not convinced that vibration is the root cause. The only retention is friction from numerous interference fits. This means there will always be some combinations of card and logger that are on the loose side, because of production tolerances beyond R-T's control. :shock:

The vibration issue is more important from the perspective of noise on the accelerometer signals.
:roll:

Dan in Saint Louis

Postby Dan in Saint Louis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:26 pm

faraday wrote:The problem is not common, but has been experienced by a few users, including myself.

If we were having that problem, I would try taping the card in with the blue painter's tape that pulls free with no residue.
--Dan in Saint Louis

Jimster

Postby Jimster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:16 pm

mine is pointing forwards, (eg memory card pointing to rear of car, so heavy braking will not cause it to come out. I was thinking of a velcro strap around it?

faraday

Postby faraday » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:45 am

Anything is probably going to look daggy, but not much force is required and the precision is in the system's own engagement.
Velcro will certainly work.

moleracing

Postby moleracing » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:33 pm

I run a single seater, with the DL1 on two rubber AV bushes and I have to tape the CF card in with gaffer tape every run to avoid it coming out under acceleration.
hope that helps.
Steve
www.moleracing.com

Return to “General support questions”