DL1 first time: card fell out and no lock?

gridgway

DL1 first time: card fell out and no lock?

Postby gridgway » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:20 pm

I tried my new DL1 in my radical today. I think the card came lose and got pushed in. I assume that would mean the card needed to be re-formatted before working properly again?

The DL1 is mounted on brackets under the dash. COuld there be too much vibration?

ALso the lock light always flashed, is that right?

Thanks
GRaham

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:04 am

I think the card came lose and got pushed in

Not sure what this means. Your subject line says the card fell out.
At least, it seems, you still have it :!:
One of mine is lost :cry:

Nevertheless, you have numerous problems. :?
The cards are usually very secure and stay in (if properly pushed home) with lots of vibration. I've had too much vibration from a Go Kart for the logger to perform properly, but the card stayed in. I believe that there are successful Radical/DL1 users. Notwithstanding, you should always use vibration isolation mounts to get quality data and enhance the durability of the logger.

A card coming out while being written too is bound to create a corrupt file that might render the card at least temporarily useless.
:(
Did you re-format it? If that didn't work, run Chkdsk on it...
Good Luck

The GPS light will flash when it has lock. In the olden days, with some loggers and firmware, it would blink out the number of satellites.

As you are new to the DL1, apply the KISS principle:
1) Power it up with no card.
2) Observe the LEDs.
3) Position the car (or antenna) outside so it can see as much sky as possible.
4) If it's a while since the DL1 was powered up and/or it is located some distance from where it has had GPS lock previously, it could take tens of seconds and even more than a minute to establish lock again.
5) Turn the unit off and on again a few times to familiarise yourself with the LED pattern that indicates GPS lock is achieved.
6) With lock achieved (hopefully) insert the card and try to log a few seconds of data using the logging button. Before you push the button, observe the Status LED. It should blink off fairly frequently. If it is staying solidly on, you probably have a card problem -> Reformat with "File>Format Flash Card" from R-T Analysis.
7) If the Logging LED came on and went off with button presses, you should have some data to examine in Analysis.
8) ??? Look at the acceleration, GPS Position and Speed channels. Because the car was stationary, it will make most sense to plot them against time.

Success :?:

Having the card fall out should not hurt the logger.
If there was no file written :cry: :cry:
Before getting on to R-T, use the serial cable and the R-T "Lite Monitor" to see if there is life in the DL1. If there is, you should try a different CF Card...

If you can make and read a log file with the car stationary, now try one with the engine running. Don't worry if you have not got RPM connected. It is best to check for basic operation before you connect external channels to the logger anyway.
Start logging.
Fire up the motor. Did the logging light stay on? Sometimes the voltage drop while cranking is enough to cause logging to stop.
With the DL1 logging, slowly rev up the engine and with it running, swing on the roll hoop. Turn off the engine and swing again. Stop logging.
When you examine this data, you will see the vibration that the running engine is causing and how it changes with RPM.
If the logger is solidly mounted, at some engine speeds the noise in the accelerometer traces will be such that it's almost impossible to discern the swings on the roll hoop...

In a dynamic vehicle like a Radical, the low frequency GPS updates need all the help thay can get from the accelerometers for the DL1 to faithfully track your progress. Noise from vibration on the accelerometer channels can make the DL1s job harder rather than easier.
Ultimately, vibration will upset the GPS module. This relies on an accurate clock for its operation. I believe this is some sort of crystal oscillator, which is a component traditionally susceptible to vibration...
My experience with the Go Kart revealed that a DL1 has its limits. Neither it or the module are intended for the harshest conditions. More ruggedised equipment, such as the DL2, is obviously available but is also more expensive.

Sensible attention to AV mounting will extend the range of operation of the affordable DL1.

Good Luck.
:)

gridgway

Postby gridgway » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:01 am

Thanks, I was planning on starting again at home in a more controlled environment.

To explain the out, in, comment. I set up the DL1, pressed start and went out on track. When I got back in the logging light was off and the card seemed to be not fully home. So we pressed it back in (with the power on).

Last night, the card had a file on of some 7Mb, but the analysis software couldn't open it (said something like "not a windows file").

The second card we tried on the day had no file on it. Just a directory that looked like it had the name of a run file. That's strange.

I'll try again and report back.

Graham

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Strange, but not unheard of.
I did some experimenting earlier today and created (well, a DL1 created) run files with a directory like name.

The card (and DL1) subsequently behaved themselves after the card was formatted from the Analysis software.

If you look at the 7Mb file in Windows Explorer, it might be missing a time/date stamp. This seems to happen in newer loggers if power is removed during logging. I had good luck (actually, the owner/drivers who didn't follow instructions had the luck) with older DL1s that power removal produced no adverse result.
Today, however, most of these phantom files come good with Chkdsk run on the card.

Notwithstanding, I rate your card coming out as a greater test of fate...

:)

gridgway

Postby gridgway » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:55 pm

I have re-formatted the card from the analysis software, so will try again. I assume I'll get a run file produced even with the car in the garage and no GPS signal?
Graham

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm

This is usually possible.

gridgway

Postby gridgway » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:19 pm

well, I have re-formatted the supplied card from the analysis software. Inserted it into the DL1 (in the car in the garage), powered up, pressed log, left it for 5 mins, pressed log and powered down.

There is a directory RT080903 on the card, but no log file. Properties says about 7meg used. So something is happening but it's not right!

Not sure what to do next.

Graham

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:48 am

It still sounds more like a card (or writing) problem than a deep DL1 problem.
Perhaps repeat the procedure, but this time do not insert the card until the DL1 LEDs have settled down after power up.

What was the light sequence?

There is no need to wait for 5 minutes.
... just a few seconds after the logging LED comes on, etc.
Do this a few times before examing the card.

It is interesting that you scored a directory with the correct date. Did you have GPS lock despite being in the garage? Not impossible...

Before troubling R-T in Nottingham, I'd put a configuration of your own on the card and see what happens when put the card into the powered up logger.
Watch the Staus LED when you insert the card.
When it starts blinking again, try to log a couple of files...

From Windows Start, go All Programs > Race Tech... > Config... >DL1
Go to the file naming tab and change both the directory and file name settings. Take note of the legal characters. You do not have to use the special sequences, except perhaps the rr in the file name. I have not experimented without rr, or fewer than the full number of characters.
If you use date sequences, you must have GPS lock to get the correct result. Without it, the DL1 will generate a nonsense date, but log files will still be created.

Do not change the SETUP.BIN name; just save it to the root directory of your card...

A check on the general condition of the DL1 is to look at it with the R-T Lite Monitor program. Connect it with the supplied cable to a PC. If you haven't a laptop with a serial port, good luck with a USB adaptor cable. I've only a cheap one but it will work if I find the correct port number setting.

Good Luck again.
If you have no joy, do not hesitate to ring R-T. The squeaky wheel gets the grease :!:

twiste

Postby twiste » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:17 am

I have had two cards fall out of the logger during Hillclimb runs!
I have been race taping them so I dont lose another one.The track is a little rough to say the least! My back feels worst for wear the next day!

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 am

The car we lost the card from wasn't the fastest or harshest, but the circuit has a few big bumps.
Rather than end up with a DL1 coated with adhesive cack from race tape, which we used at first, a rubber band or two has been useful. They stay wrapped around the logger and are easily flicked aside for card r & r.

I assume from your silence on logging issues, that the card losses caused no lasting damage :?:

gridgway

Postby gridgway » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:45 am

Great, superb idea on the config. I folloed the directions and I got a log file that the analysis software could read. No idea what was wrong, but hopefully we'll be ok from now on! I'll go for the rubber band method of holding the card in for the time being.

Thanks again
Graham

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 am

Good news :D

Don't forget to make a test run with the car stationary while you slowly take the motor up and down through the revs. Although most of us live with them from day to day, four cylinder engines are full of vibration.
Obviously, the small and light reciprocating components in bike engines reduce the out of balance forces, but they grow with revs. The NVH measures and balance shafts commonly employed in over two-litre car engines do an excellent job of hiding the inherent problem from us.

Is the Radical powertrain mounted in rubber or solid :?:

Return to “General support questions”