Help pls - autostart stop problem

Turtle

Postby Turtle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks for the information, it's helpful. One followup question - is the loggign status output turned off when logging stops or when logging has stopped and the file is written? Just wondering if I can monitor it to know that the DL1 has finished writing to the CF card.

One thought. Having experimented a little more and reread the documentation a few times, the confusing thing is the way the special mode when both start and stop conditions are the same is exposed. I've a programming background so can see how with the tests applied in order it works - but no programmers look at both conditions and in human thinking terms you think of them at the same time so they seem to contradict.

The configuration utility could be changed so that it has a choice:
'Basic mode'
'Advanced mode'

Basic mode you limit to one trigger (the other being set to the same internally), then you just have two times in addition - how long to record before the trigger and after the trigger.

Advanced mode would be just as it is currently.

No change at all to the firmware, just exposing the special mode when start/stop conditions are the same in a more friendly manner.

-Brian.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:40 pm

For what it is worth, I ALWAYS use an autostart based on speed and have seen no issues. You can still start with the button, but if you forget, power is interrupted, etc, the unit will start for you.

No need to use autostop just because you are using autostart, I usually don't but that is just habit.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Support

Postby Support » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Right, I believe that I have got to the bottom of this now, aside from the GPS speed accuracy issue there was a bug in the firmware which would stop this mode from working if the serial decoding is enabled. So, if you want to use the mode with the same autostart and autostop conditions and don't have anything sending RT format data in to your DL1, just disable that option in the config and it will work fine. Otherwise, if you have an ECU interface or DASH connected to your DL1, email me mhill at race-technology.com with info on whether you have a mk1 or mk2 DL1 or a 1.7G or 4G DL2 and I'll email the new firmware to you.

Martin

Support

Postby Support » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:49 pm

That sounds like a good idea. This mode was added in at the request of a particular customer and was not originally intended for general use. I added it to the knowledge base as I thought it might be useful, but you are right it does need changing and more info needs hiding from the user. after all, who reads the instruction? :-)

Martin

Turtle wrote:One thought. Having experimented a little more and reread the documentation a few times, the confusing thing is the way the special mode when both start and stop conditions are the same is exposed. I've a programming background so can see how with the tests applied in order it works - but no programmers look at both conditions and in human thinking terms you think of them at the same time so they seem to contradict.

The configuration utility could be changed so that it has a choice:
'Basic mode'
'Advanced mode'

Basic mode you limit to one trigger (the other being set to the same internally), then you just have two times in addition - how long to record before the trigger and after the trigger.

Advanced mode would be just as it is currently.

No change at all to the firmware, just exposing the special mode when start/stop conditions are the same in a more friendly manner.

-Brian.

Return to “General support questions”