Basic DL1 set-up

oilrag22

Basic DL1 set-up

Postby oilrag22 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Looking for simple, but as elaborate set-up for the DL-1 on a roadrace motorcycle. We got the older style 2 connector DL1 base unit.
We are allowed to run with this unit during free practice, but due to the bike being a stock racer. All forms of data aquisition needs to come off before qualifying and the actual race.

For our Supersport bikes we use, AIM MXL systems with all possible sensor extensions to monitor whatever we feel and see relevant.

Is there any way to expand the DL1 marginally, but creating a somewhat bigger data platform, during these free practice sessions???

In other words what would be the most cost effective and usefull expansion, for this specific application...

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:06 am

I use a pair of DL1s in an advanced road racing car when we need to monitor more parameters. I do not, however, recommend this as a simple solution.
The problem is that at this stage of its evolution, the R-T Analysis software can't allocate different variable configuration files to the multiple log files that you'll end up with in the current "workspace".
Absolute pain in the arse!

So far, my requests for a fix have gone unanswered.

The R-T crew have been sweating over several hardware modules to facilitate input from various data streams: serial from ECUs, OBDII, CAN etc. For all I know, they may have an expansion module solution at hand that takes a handfull of additional analogue and frequency inputs and puts them into a compatible data stream.
It is certainly the way that most professional DAQ systems have been going. It appears that R-T see this level of sophistication best fits with their Industry Consultation activities. Where appropriate, this work might filter down to their Retail Product line.

If the road bike you're racing has an ECU, finding a serial output containing all the engine parameters that are already monitored or calculated therein might at least free up some external DL1 channels if the serial data can be streamed to the logger.
R-T may already have a suitable interface module on the shelf.
The Analysis software already has numerous parameters set to handle serial data.

You should probably contact R-T directly. Use the Support tab on the website.

As the questions you ask appear to concern enhancements that may be work in progress for R-T, I doubt that the Forum will find you a quicker solution.
There are certainly several existing R-T users in the Forum with advanced knowledge and skills who have explored serial input. I believe they have written their own code to achieve individually satisfactory solutions. Perhaps such a member will volunteer some assistance.

As well as running R-T's activities in the US, Al Seim has the best knowledge of current and future R-T product. He is frequently able to provide timely assistance to users outside the US too. Do not overlook Al, especially if you are in the States (I am not).

:)

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:03 pm

OK, after that flattery I guess I have to try to help.

For variables from the second DL1, how about using a user defined variable as a second instance of each channel?

For instance, you could set up a user defined variable as "Analog 2_1" which was just defined as "Analog1".

Then if you wanted to graph Analog1 from the first and second DL1s' data sets, you would just graph Analog1 from data set 1 and Analog2_1 from data set 2.

Al
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

faraday

Postby faraday » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:32 am

Thanks Al.

Excellent idea. It will always give access to more channels and will sometimes work for my applications.
I have not checked in recent releases of Analysis, but for a while we were limited to six active User Channels without a Pro Licence.
Is this still the case?

I have lots of math channels already. Some of these can certainly be turned off, but it is nice to have as many available as possible because in a debreif the owner/driver will say "let's have a look at such and such"...
I commend R-T for improving processing speed in recent releases, so the re-processing overhead is not as tiresome as originally.

With three IR sensors per tyre, numerous differential pressure sensors for aero analysis, etc., resources are soon oversubscibed.
Of course, this is a data hungry application not exactly targeted by the DL1.
Is there a hardware module for Autronic ECU serial data available yet?
I have clients with SM2 and SM4.

There is no questioning the value for money of the DL1. Combine that with the flexibility and scientific analysis possible, we have a fine product that continues to improve.

:D

Return to “General support questions”