Autostart question

LiquidCooled

Autostart question

Postby LiquidCooled » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Assume I've set up an Autostart condition (e.g., speed > 30 kph) in the setup.bin file and loaded that file into the DL1 properly. Now, when I use the DL1 normally, is the "Logging" light supposed to turn on a few seconds after I power up the DL1 or is the "Logging" light only supposed to turn on once my speed exceeds 30 kph? I could have sworn that the behavior was the latter before I flashed the firmware. Now it seems to be the former behavior. Does it make any difference if I set up a Pre-trigger time? Thanks.

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Logging light (green) comes on when you reach the autostart condition.
Haven't used a pre-trigger so I don't know if that impacts the behavior.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:01 pm

Perhaps, if your GPS signal is weak (say, you're indoors), it get's confused and starts logging immediately. I don't use pre-trigger time though either, so that could be the key.
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:56 am

Different firmware versions may slightly alter behavior, but in general, except for the startup sequence, the logging light is off when not logging and on when logging. Autostart will not affect this UNLESS the pretrigger is being used.

When pretrigger is in use, the unit is actually logging once startup is finished, it just loops / erases until the pretrigger condition is met, then it carries on, retaining as much "pre" data as the pretrigger time calls for.

So with pretrigger, the light comes on and stays on before "logging" starts, because it is really logging! That one threw me the first time I saw it too.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

faraday

Postby faraday » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:37 pm

Liquid hasn't mentioned pre-trigger, simply auto-start. Tristan is probably correct. It is instructive to let the unit aquire GPS lock before inserting the CF card.
If the logging light then comes on you may have a problem that maybe Reflashing will fix, but let's not be pessimistic and go there. Actually, LC, you say "reflashed the firmware". Assuming you have not had a PC link via Serial cable and used the Reflash utility, you haven't "reflashed".
The SETUP file simply instructs the existing...

Has autostart successfully generated .run files?
What is on your card?

Cheers

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Funny, could have sworn the third-from-last word in his post was "pre-trigger". :D
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

faraday

Postby faraday » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Sorry Al. :oops:
Should have said mentioned as part of Liquid's "fault".
Only trying to simplify the "solution". :D

LiquidCooled

Postby LiquidCooled » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:31 pm

faraday wrote:Actually, LC, you say "reflashed the firmware". Assuming you have not had a PC link via Serial cable and used the Reflash utility, you haven't "reflashed".
The SETUP file simply instructs the existing...

I did reflash the firmware using the serial cable and reflash utility. That was my point. I seem to recall that before I flashed the firmware (i.e., when the DL1 was using the firmware it came from the factory with), the Logging light only started flashing after the trigger condition was met..even when using a pre-trigger. Now, after reflashing, the same setup causes the Logging light to flash right after power-up.

But everything seems to be working and makes sense according to Al's description of pre-trigger logging. So all is good.

Thanks.

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:02 am

I believe I have had very similar experiences of changed behaviour. Sometimes a logger on the logger to prove we're not seeing things (or just going crazy) would be nice.

I think the light sequence varies with the prescence (or otherwise) of the card. Perhaps if the card has a SETUP file on it, the sequence is different again.

Like Al says (once the startup sequence is done), it's logging when the light is on...
I've said it elsewhere but I'll repeat it here: it is worthwhile, especially if the SETUP has been changed, to manually (by button press) create a couple of run files, firstly to observe that the light responds, but more importantly to check that files have been written. The additional work and time removing the card and plonking it in the laptop/reader for peace of mind is worth it when the data that matters is valuable.

A human error is probably more likely than a system error. The only times I've had system troubles, it's been a full or corrupt card, not the logger. Reformatting has fixed the problem.

Associates have acquired (ebay) 2nd hand DL1s at bargain prices that have not worked and shown strange light behaviour. Reflashing has made them fully functional.
It's probably a question that has no specific answers without knowing the units' true histories and maybe there is no general answer, but I wonder why they have "failed".
Is it incorrect user reflashing?

:)

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Might not be directly related to this problem, but after reflashing it is always good practice to put a new configuration file on to the logger. This is particularly important on old loggers which might not have had a configuration on for some time. If this is not done you might get some strange behaviour as the new firmware reads random data from the internal config.

Martin

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:32 am

I can second that, Martin 8)

Return to “General support questions”