Video integration in V7 analysis software

DavidW

Video integration in V7 analysis software

Postby DavidW » Fri May 22, 2009 10:55 am

I have just purchased a racecar with DL1 installed, and a separate Neuros DVR for video (recording in MP4 format), and am looking for the best option for integrating data and video. I can see two options - Trackvision or the video licence within the Main Analysis software. I have been able to download a trial copy of Trackvision, but do not seem to be able to get a trial video licence and am reluctant to pay 100GBP without trialling it first. I understand from this forum that earlier versions of the video software were very bug ridden , and most people I have spoken to in the formula I race in have abandoned trying to use it.

Can any users give me some feedback on whether the software in V7 has improved and is now useable, or would I be better sticking with Trackvision? Alternatively is it possible to get a demo video licence to try it out first?

David

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 am

I haven't tried the RT integrated video in over a year but at that time is was almost unusable for me; as I understand it a lot of it depends on the video formats you want to use and the codecs you have on your machine so I definitely agree with you in wanting to "demo" it but I'm not aware of anyway to do that. I do have a Trackvision license and have used that many times but that has been given competition by the recently released DashWare from ChaseCam. Post processing with Trackvision or DashWare is a time intensive process and not something your going to be wanting to do very often. Sharing a memorable event (race, fast lap, etc..) sure, but every time you are on track -- definitely not.

Of course the ultimate solution, real time integration with the Video4 will be available shortly so that will be the next step for me.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

DavidW

Postby DavidW » Tue May 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Jeremey - Thanks for the suggestion - I have tried the Dashware software and it works realy well, better than Trackvision where I was having problems losing sync between data and video. I think with a bit of effort configuring the inputs and gauges that Dashware can become a really useful tool to help present the DL1 data visually and connect the data to driver inputs.

corey_dyck

Postby corey_dyck » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm

The latest software release promises improvements in the video license option. Has anyone used it yet? I tried last night but got heavily pixelated video for two different files. These files play fine in WMP. A third video from a different source worked fine.

It sounds like there is greatly improved opportunity to lay gauges and the like over the video feed, much like the other software options. Are there any instructions on how to do this? I couldn't find anything other than a mention of the option in the knowledge base.

corey_dyck

Postby corey_dyck » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:46 pm

I was able to convert the video to .wmv using Windows Movie Maker and import that without any trouble. Then the following came up:

1. I could not eliminate the start of a run file from an exported video. Even giving it a start time means that it just doesn't output any of the data values to the gauges. I had a 301 second long data file, I was forced to make a 301 second long movie. Is it possible to truncate?

2. How can you 'highlight' a portion of the run? That may be the wrong word, I don't have the program in front of me right now. It's the other choice besides 'export entire run'.

3. Sync'ing the video and data was tough. I used a gear shift (sharp drop in throttle and hand on shift knob in video) to sync them, it seemed about 1/2 second off. I had to offset the video through trial and error to get a better sync. When it was properly sync'ed in the preview window it showed me lifting before I moved my hand and then back to full throttle before moving the knob. The sync was consistent through the length of the video/data though.

4. No sound in output file. Is this intentional?

Right now it looks like you need to do the following steps to make a movie to share with others:
1. Convert video to .wmv
2. Import video
3. Sync video and data
4. Export video
5. Check video/data offset and manually fix in preview window
6. Export video
7. Import video into Windows Movie Maker
8. Trim start and end of run
9. Import audio from original video file and sync
10. Export video from WMMaker

That's a pain! Can anyone provide guidance? I'd love to get this working.

Support

Postby Support » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi,

There is a upgrade overdue on the video export - I'm now hoping that this will be released next week and it a huge improvement. At the moment we are trying to use windows CODECs from windows to play any video that is loaded. In theory this seems like a gret idea(!) but in practice it's not worked very well for lots of users. The problem is that the stability and performance depends entrely on your windows setup. I got it working well on our development machines, but most users didn't.

In addition the video export function was complicated and "clunky" by modern standards and there is no support for sound export.

The new release of the video export using our very own in house codec technology and the video export system taken from our own brilliant VIDEO4 and is massively simpler and more stable with almost no PC dependancies.

The only thing that is difficult to address is the video sync issue. We have something in the pipe line for this, but nothing immediate.

Keep an eye on the web site late next week...

Kind regards,

Andy

corey_dyck

Postby corey_dyck » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Sounds good Andy, I eagerly anticipate the new release.

Return to “General software support”