built in a shed, powered by arduino, Ebay WiFi telemetry

Halsbury Racing

built in a shed, powered by arduino, Ebay WiFi telemetry

Postby Halsbury Racing » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:25 pm

About to finally see the track after 6 years of preparation, so here are some pics:

3D design and analysis tools used.

Chassis in early state of build.

First shake-down test.

Race Technology Monitor telemetry screen.

Telemetry hardware sourced from Ebay circa 50GBP. It talks to an old home Wifi router. It's not perfect but I still get data when the car is on the other side of the circuit approx 1 mile away.

There are six arduino's on the car. This is the Tyre Managment controller.

I could not afford the best, so I learnt to code a little and built the best I could. This Arduino sits in the serial line between the Dash2 and the ECU, and sends 30 channels to the DL1 logger, currently at 10Hz, but I hope to get some additional faster channels soon.

I now have the benefit of being able to add intelligent conditional alarms such as oil pressure warning based on rpm, and fuel pressure based on Boost load.

An arduino doesn't actually power the car, only assists the engine ECU by providing a torque-request map based on Driver input from a rotary switch, rpm and Throttle angle.

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Cool stuff. I'm sure people (myself included) would be interested in seeing even more details if you don't mind sharing, particularly about the telemetry and arduino's feeding data to the logger.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

tmokbel1965

Postby tmokbel1965 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Wow totally Awesome! Yes you must provide us with more details. Very cool though! Don't forget a video too :p Want to see this baby in action.

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Awesome, I'd love to see details of the arduino setups.

Return to “Reader's projects”