iPad app :)

Support

Postby Support » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:51 pm

It's a risk of course... but I think microsoft will be the big sellers in the enterprise market, and I think that is currently the general view of "the market" whatever that means!! Their decision to support ARM also makes me think that this is the correct route.

The open solution of Android mean that they are going to capture the lower end of the market. I think that is a given... already you can get a tablet for <$100.

I've got an ipad and iphone... and mostly I think they are good, but the closed OS, the horrible development environment, lack of flexibility, lack of ports etc etc drive me nuts.

I'm paying for development, I have to make the decision! Give it 18 months, and then you can tell me I'm wrong ;)

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 pm

With more than half a million Apps in the App Store, it can't be that difficult or inflexible. I also never considered that users of Race Technology hardware and software were in the Enterprise market, I would rather think that most of us use our own laptop for analysis.

You are correct in saying that it is your money, but we are your customers. Perhaps we should be consulted? What about a new Forum topic where users can vote?

Have a great day.... :)
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Support

Postby Support » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:13 pm

sorry - we are not a democracy!

I didn't claim to know I'm right, it is just my opinion at this stage. As I said, feel free to email me a huge "told you so" in 18 months :)

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Wow :!:
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 am

If I bought a tablet, it would be an iPad.
If the iPad was unavailable to me, then I'd get an Android version.

If most of limbs and organs were forcibly removed I might consider getting a Windows tablet (of any sort)... By which time datalogging might not be a prime concern!
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Support wrote:It's a risk of course... but I think microsoft will be the big sellers in the enterprise market, and I think that is currently the general view of "the market" whatever that means!! Their decision to support ARM also makes me think that this is the correct route.

The open solution of Android mean that they are going to capture the lower end of the market. I think that is a given... already you can get a tablet for <$100.

I've got an ipad and iphone... and mostly I think they are good, but the closed OS, the horrible development environment, lack of flexibility, lack of ports etc etc drive me nuts.

I'm paying for development, I have to make the decision! Give it 18 months, and then you can tell me I'm wrong ;)
Yes, it would be nice to have a USB port and a "proper" file manager. (though goodreader does a good job of that)
BMW 2000 M Coupe

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon May 28, 2012 1:55 pm

You should all wait to see Windows 8 on a Tablet....this is likely to be the corporate standard going forward.

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm

6 August 2010 was when this post started, so it's almost 2 years already, so I suppose waiting even longer for a new, untried OS is OK! just as well that the RT offering is so good that NOT having a tablet solution is acceptable.
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

FormulaRedline

Postby FormulaRedline » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Looks like we may all using the analysis software on one of these at the track next year!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface

FormulaRedline

Postby FormulaRedline » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:15 pm

With the latest rounds of tablets out, are there any updates here? Is the iOS app ready? Can the current Analysis software be recompiled to run on Windows RT and the Surface?

Looking forward to using Analysis on a tablet at the track!

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Well, it has been almost 3 years since Osborni started this post. Back in April 2012 Support replied to one of my posts with:

"sorry - we are not a democracy!

I didn't claim to know I'm right, it is just my opinion at this stage. As I said, feel free to email me a huge "told you so" in 18 months "

OK, so it is only 14 months since their post, but I am waiting with baited breath to send my "told you so" post. Windows 8 and 8 RT are both disasters, with only a 4% or 5% uptake after 6 month on the market and much of that is manufacturers being foreced to install it on new devices. Even Microsoft has admitted as much with them having to release Windows 8.1 to try and recover some of the massive customer confidence lost with their radical and un-user friendly OS.

Come on RT, it's not too late to change. Develop a solution that works with an OS that also works. Because of the openness of the OS and availability of input and output ports on devices I would put my money into an Android solution (even though I own an iPad I would be willing to get an Android device).
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Support

Postby Support » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:24 pm

I would certainly agree about Windows RT looking like it's going to be a complete flop!! From my seat it's looking increasingly like Android is going to be the winner, although like you I'm currently an iPad owner!

RT support - Andy

WillM

Postby WillM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:39 pm

As an iPad and R-T owner, I would greatly appreciate an iPad app.

Bring it R-T! :)

- Will

corey_dyck

Postby corey_dyck » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 am

I've been experimenting with SoloStorm on an Android tablet at the track: http://www.petreldata.com/ It's designed for American autocross, I imagine it would work for hill climbs - no idea if it'd work for circuit racing. It's definitely biased towards quick driver assessments, not car tuning.

It pulls data from the DL1 via the serial port and a Bluetooth adapter. Their Time Delta variable gives near identical info to Time Delta (s) from Race Tech, but in seconds after each lap instead of multiple minutes of computer processing.

No affiliation, etc. Just a neat product if it fits your style of racing. Not cheap though, at $200 US for the license.

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 am

oh - that's interesting, I'll contact them and say "hello"... I'm a bit surprised they haven't been in contact already, I'm sure we could do something together.

RT support - Andy

Return to “Requested new features”