Serial Interface and Change of ECU

molecular bob

Serial Interface and Change of ECU

Postby molecular bob » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:02 pm

I bought a project which included an unused Dash2 and serial interface for the ecu the owner intended to use ( EMS Stinger). I would like to use a DTA S60 instead, will i need to buy a new interface? If I do, is there any advantage to serial or can data streams? I will not be data-logging. Most of my sensors already run to the ecu, including wheel speed, am I correct in thinking that I will need a separate speed sensor for the dash as the ecu data can't be picked up by the dash2?
Ian B

Halsbury Racing

Postby Halsbury Racing » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm not at all qualified to reply, but to the best of my knowledge the serial interface cables are all the same, you should be able to re-flash the cable, or RT will possibly be able to do it for you.

If you had to buy a cable I would recommend CAN rather than serial (if your ECU is capable of both), but for a Dash-only setup you would really get no benefit that I can see.

Best would be to add another speed sensor, but you might be able to T-in to the signal for the ECU and save the head-ache of fitting another sensor.

However if you do this, beware of ground-loops: I have previously tapped into a 5V throttle pot to feed the signal to a second ECU and then spent days chasing signal noise that was bigger than the under-lying signal.

I'd recommend giving RT a call, they do not check these forums every day.

Paul

Rob Stevens

Postby Rob Stevens » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:19 pm

The serial interface can be re-flashed to read the s series, but I'm not sure if this file will be free.

The serial interface for the DTA doesn't transmit vehicle speed.

The CAN interface does transmit a single vheacle speed channel, this can be displayed on the Dash 2 I'm sure.

I use the can interface and it can transmit fuel consumption data that may be useful? As well as a load of other stuff.

Return to “Pre-sales product questions”