accelerometer location

tommyd

accelerometer location

Postby tommyd » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:42 am

I have not found any topics in the forums discussing the location of the dl1 within a vehicle other than being level, on the centerline of the vehicle and the orientation of the block. My concern is the distance from the vehicles center of mass to the accelerometers in the dl1. During turn in wouldn't the rotation of the vehicle cause an error in the lateral acceleration the would get worse the further the dl1 is from the cg.

If a yaw sensor was located at the cg then the lateral acceleration could be corrected. With the yaw sensor located in the dl1 I am not sure how to use the information other than as a comparison tool and not a set up tool.

I have been digging around at other sensor vendors and all indicate locating the sensor as near the cg as possible.

If I am not understanding the basics please direct me to the correct technical section (the more pictures the better).

Also can the dl1 be located in an enclosed box or does it require some cooling.

thanks,

Tom D
Tom

Jimster

Postby Jimster » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 am

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'm using a dash2pro, but also have an analogue 8, which I can located almost anywhere, so where is the based place to located it?

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 pm

I am looking forward to picking up an Analog8 soon... not sure if the wiring length will work, but I'm inclined to put the sensor on the rear axle centerline... my DL1 is currently fairly close to the CG, under my knees (formula car layout)...

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:39 am

There is an effect from the changing in turn rate of the car, but the effect is going to be small and not of any significance during testing.
The DL1 doesn't produce any significant heat, I have never heard of a problem from putting them in a sealed box. The DL1 PRO is effectively a DL1 CLUB in a sealed metal enclosure and there have never been any temperature issues with these.

Martin

Return to “Pre-sales product questions”