Compatibility w/ AEM EMS V2 ECU

Gregg

Compatibility w/ AEM EMS V2 ECU

Postby Gregg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:31 am

Just wanted to see if the the serial adapter for the AEM EMS is compatible with the new V2 version of the hardware.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine-ma ... system-30/

In addition, it appears that the V2 supports CAN communication. Does the CAN adapter support it and, if so, what would the advantages be over the serial adapter?

Thanks,
Gregg

Support

Support

Postby Support » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Greg,

I have downloaded the AEM software and the CAN output is standard. It seems version 2 no longer supports serial telemetry, only CAN.

If both output the messages you want there are no advantages having CAN over serial except if you are using it with a DL1 mk1/mk2 and DASH2. You cannot send lots of messages very quickly to the DASH2 and the CAN interface can limit the speeds. (The DL1 mk3 and video4 can also limit the speeds)

If you look in the AEM software under tools CAN setup you can look through the list and choose which channels you want.

If you email me kieran@race... with your list i will make the configuration for you.

Kind regards,
Kieran

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks, Kieran.

Although I have recently picked up a DL1 MK3 (to replace my MK1) and Dash4Pro, I have a Dash2 currently installed in the car. Are you saying that having the CAN adapter is advantageous because it can throttle the data rate to the Dash2?

Thanks for your offer. I'll likely take you up on it.

-Gregg

Support

Support

Postby Support » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 am

Hello,

If you have the DL1 mk3 you can put the CAn data directly in to it. (License needed) without the need of the interface.

Kind regards
Kieran

Moridin

Re: Support

Postby Moridin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 am

Support wrote:Hi Greg,

I have downloaded the AEM software and the CAN output is standard. It seems version 2 no longer supports serial telemetry, only CAN.

If both output the messages you want there are no advantages having CAN over serial except if you are using it with a DL1 mk1/mk2 and DASH2. You cannot send lots of messages very quickly to the DASH2 and the CAN interface can limit the speeds. (The DL1 mk3 and video4 can also limit the speeds)

If you look in the AEM software under tools CAN setup you can look through the list and choose which channels you want.

If you email me kieran@race... with your list i will make the configuration for you.

Kind regards,
Kieran

Actually, it does both the serial telemetry and CAN bus, simultaneously. I've successfully hooked up the Series 2 to an AIMSport Mychron 3 XG Log. Haven't had the time to try it out on a Race Technology DL1 in either format, but should be able to soon.

Return to “Pre-sales product questions”